WIFI with new 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrchainsaw5757, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Ok so i looked around and didnt see this posted but... I thought with the new 2.0 update they were supposed to fix that wifi problem with connecting to certain networks, ones like at college campus' and such. Or was I totally wrong?

2. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

It fixed my campus WIFI. We use "Clean Agent".

3. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Lucky, it didnt seem to do anything for all of the spots that i couldnt connect to.

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Yeah, same here.

The only way I can imagine POSSIBLY doing it is going to Settings > General > Network > and then VPN and doing something there.

There is no 802.11x support under the VPN configurations as far as I know, so I don't think I'll be able to connect to my university's wi-fi either.

Anybody have any ideas?

5. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

I would have thought this would have been a bigger topic by now... unless im missing something...

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

Me too.

Anybody know if it actually works with 802.1x encryption networks?

7. sloochi macrumors newbie

This may sound funny... but it worked for me...

The 2.0 upgrade will allow connection and use of 802.11x.

I had some problems initially connecting to my campus Wifi which utilizes 802.11x. It would see the wireless signal, but when i tried to connect, it would be perpetually "logging in", and ultimately couldn't. I tried restoring my iTouch to see if that would change anything and when i went to campus the next day... it connected no problems (and no you dont have to pay for the 2.0 upgrade again).

Also, i have heard that if you turn push OFF temporarily, it will connect. Why i dont know, but i also tried that with a friend's and it worked... go figure. Hope this helps.

8. cokids macrumors member

What is PUSH?

I keep reading threads that reference 'push,' so now I'm wondering what it is and where on the Touch I can find it to turn it off, if I decide to do that?
    Beth

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It is under Settings > Fetch New Data although if you don't know what it is probably set to the default setting of "manual".

Push refers to having data (mail, calendar, whatever) "pushed" to your iPod on a schedule from the Internet. For example, the server with your data broadcasts to your device rather than the old "pull" style where you request the data as needed.

The downside with an iPod, of course, is that the more frequently you push the higher the load on your battery. :(

10. muldul macrumors 6502

Since 2.0, i have been able to connect to my network, but not use it, it just says to check it is connected. I have tried restoring, no luck

11. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

I am now all of a sudden in the same boat as you. I dont know what to do. :mad: