Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
My parents have a 1st gen iPad and there's a persistent WiFi problem.

The iPad is connected to my home network. At times, it can't establish a connection for example to a website despite that WiFi is clearly on and I had turn off and on website in order to use data via WiFi. It's running iOS 4.2.1. Will an update fix this?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I don't think it's the router, an iPhone connected to the router has no issues so far.

It happens quite often after wake. Wi-Fi connected but no data access.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I don't think it's the router, an iPhone connected to the router has no issues so far.

It happens quite often after wake. Wi-Fi connected but no data access.

The WiFi problem doesn't have to be with the router. It could be with a modem but it could be with your iPad if the iPhone is working. Go into the iPad Setting app and use the "Forget this network" and then join the network again.

Last edited:

Plsleite

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I just got an iPad 2 (iOS 4.3.5) and i'm also experiencing this.

Every once and a while i lose my internet connection despite being connected to the wifi network. I must then go to options and turn wifi off and on again. This will always work.

I strongly believe it's not a router problem, since it will only occur with my iPad 2.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I just got an iPad 2 (iOS 4.3.5) and i'm also experiencing this.

Every once and a while i lose my internet connection despite being connected to the wifi network. I must then go to options and turn wifi off and on again. This will always work.

I strongly believe it's not a router problem, since it will only occur with my iPad 2.
Bingo!

It's getting a bit annoying. Thankfully, the iPad was provided by my dad's employer and he will swap it for an iPad 2. Hopefully it'll be immune from this annoyance.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
This happens with my iPad and one particular router. All other devices are fine on that router, and my iPad has no wifi problems anywhere else. It just does not get along with this router for some reason.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a fix for it. The best I've done is since my iPad is jailbroken, SBSettings + Activator makes it quicker and easier to toggle my wifi off and on when it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.