WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adder7712, Sep 30, 2011.

1. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

My parents have a 1st gen iPad and there's a persistent WiFi problem.

The iPad is connected to my home network. At times, it can't establish a connection for example to a website despite that WiFi is clearly on and I had turn off and on website in order to use data via WiFi. It's running iOS 4.2.1. Will an update fix this?

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

It's more likely a WiFi problem than an iOS version problem. Try resetting your WiFi.

3. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

I don't think it's the router, an iPhone connected to the router has no issues so far.

It happens quite often after wake. Wi-Fi connected but no data access.

4. Ashwood11, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

The WiFi problem doesn't have to be with the router. It could be with a modem but it could be with your iPad if the iPhone is working. Go into the iPad Setting app and use the "Forget this network" and then join the network again.

5. Plsleite macrumors newbie

I just got an iPad 2 (iOS 4.3.5) and i'm also experiencing this.

Every once and a while i lose my internet connection despite being connected to the wifi network. I must then go to options and turn wifi off and on again. This will always work.

I strongly believe it's not a router problem, since it will only occur with my iPad 2.

6. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

Bingo!

It's getting a bit annoying. Thankfully, the iPad was provided by my dad's employer and he will swap it for an iPad 2. Hopefully it'll be immune from this annoyance.

7. Plsleite macrumors newbie

Mine is an iPad 2.
    Could this be a hardware issue?

8. Ashwood11, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

No!

Go into the iPad Setting app and use the "Forget this network" and then join the network again.
    iPad User Guide
    http://help.apple.com/ipad/4/interface/

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

This happens with my iPad and one particular router. All other devices are fine on that router, and my iPad has no wifi problems anywhere else. It just does not get along with this router for some reason.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a fix for it. The best I've done is since my iPad is jailbroken, SBSettings + Activator makes it quicker and easier to toggle my wifi off and on when it happens.