wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by justan, Nov 10, 2008.

1. justan macrumors member

hows the wifi on the touch? Is it like full internet, like a computer would be? Or is there restrictions? Thanks,

Justan

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

i believe that it has g capability. i like the internet experience on my touch. it renders the pages just like they would be on safari on your mac. rendering usually only takes a couple of seconds. one thing to keep in mind is that there is no flash support.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wi Fi is full internet, it's exactly what you'd use on your computer if you have a wireless router. You can go to any website you want using Safari. The only thing it can't do is play flash videos, but that's a decision of Apple's part and absolutely nothing to do with the Wi Fi itself.
    The only restrictions you'll encounter is if it's on a network with blocked sites. For example, when I was at boarding school certain websites were blocked (pretty much anything that let us communicate with the outside world), they had a wireless network and connecting to that on my touch those same things were blocked.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

In a nutshell, yes.
    Basically just like on your home computer.
    Although, as other posters have stated, it does not have flash.
    Currently Adobe is working on this.
    One of the reasons they didn't enable it right away is because it sucked up battery life very fast, they don't want that to happen so they are trying to fix it.

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Are you referring to Adobe or Apple? Can Adobe enable flash video without Apple's permission? Would this be a 3rd party application?

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

adobe couldn't enable flash without apples permission because it would have to run in the background and that is against apples terms of service. unless they make a special deal.

7. justan thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool. Can play online games on it? Like on myspace, play hold em with my friends and stuff?

8. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

you could have a look at the app store in itunes to get an idea of what games are available. myspace will work fine.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not if the game is flash based, in that case the iPod touch will not work.

[​IMG]

10. justan thread starter macrumors member

online games arent really a big deal, just thought itd be cool. Why doesnt apple support flash on the touch?

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

As I stated above, it sucks up battery life.
    Other than that, Adobe hasn't official finished it yet either.

And to the OP, I may be wrong on this, the SDK was for apps but the flash player is a plugin, not an app.

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

There are some cool programs for the touch, many of them free, that will allow you to happily game for hours.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Adobe may be making the plugin, but in the end it's Apple's decision to implement it.