Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use WiFiCall?

• Yup

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • What is it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iTarbuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I have just checked in my settings, and I do have WiFi calling enabled but what happened to WiFiCall?

My house is a service blackspot, only getting a weak reception in the lounge, so when WiFiCall was initially released it was a god send, but when it came to the latest iOS, it seems to have dropped off.

Every time I'm on the phone, the reception is as bad as always and WiFiCall isn't picking up for me and the phone often becomes disconnected. Gone are the days when I stepped outside and the phone dropped off the WiFi, now I can't make the call at all!

Does anyone else still use WiFiCall? Does anyone care?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have just checked in my settings, and I do have WiFi calling enabled but what happened to WiFiCall?

My house is a service blackspot, only getting a weak reception in the lounge, so when WiFiCall was initially released it was a god send, but when it came to the latest iOS, it seems to have dropped off.

Every time I'm on the phone, the reception is as bad as always and WiFiCall isn't picking up for me and the phone often becomes disconnected. Gone are the days when I stepped outside and the phone dropped off the WiFi, now I can't make the call at all!

Does anyone else still use WiFiCall? Does anyone care?
What is WiFiCall? Is that an app of some sort?

If we are simply talking about WiFi Calling in general, it's still there and still works. It can be spotty at times depending on your cellular connection as well as your WiFi connection, but overall it's still there like before.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What is WiFiCall? Is that an app of some sort?
If I'm translating correctly, believe OP is using shorthand for "wifi calling". And how it seems to not work well for them with iOS 12.

Main topic, no idea. Vast majority of my calls are away from home and have solid LTE coverage.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I'm translating correctly, believe OP is using shorthand for "wifi calling". And how it seems to not work well for them with iOS 12.

Main topic, no idea. Vast majority of my calls are away from home and have solid LTE coverage.
I thought that initially as well, but the OP mentions "I have just checked in my settings, and I do have WiFi calling enabled but what happened to WiFiCall?" which kind of makes it seem that WiFiCall is something separate/different from WiFi calling.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Use it daily as I have horrible cell reception inside my home. It is, and has been, crystal clear. Maybe it's your wifi or router? I dunno. Everyone I know that uses it loves it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If the carrier offers it, of course I'll use it. It's a great feature considering cell congestion in my region is very bad. The cell towers are so congested that most of the carriers calls revert to 2G, which is so bad in quality that it's practically useless.
Alas, not all carriers support this feature.

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Put your phone in airplane mode and then turn wi-fi back on. Wi-Fi calling should work if you have it setup and your network is not blocking IPSec traffic outbound or inbound.

Reactions: George Knighton

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I use WiFi calling all of the time. Even where there is a decent cellular signal, T-Mobile seems to reduce power on the cellular and prefer WiFi as long as the WiFi signal is strong.

I have never heard of “WiFiCall” and if this is some proprietary solution, I’ll look forward to hearing about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.