General WiFried

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Grolubao, Nov 24, 2014.

1. IrishVixen, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It seems to be helping at least somewhat on mine, but the thread on Reddit shows mixed results.

Edit: more and more positives over on Reddit. If you're having issues, it's certainly worth a try.

2. themyst macrumors 6502

So far so good on mine, his explanation would make sense as to why I had these issues worse than others. 4 iOS devices in the same house means miserable times.

3. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Wow! I didn't think I was having the wifi issue, but first impressions feel better. Lower ping, more steady throughput on speedtests

4. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It's up on Cydia via the modmyi repo.

Combined this with changing my DNS, and I'm seeing a pretty consistent bump in speed. It'll be interesting to see over the next couple of days & under different conditions/on other networks, but overall, my phone is a hell of a lot more usable now.

6. trsblader macrumors 6502

So I'm not sure if I'm using this wrong or if it isn't helping any. I installed and restarted springboard as it said. What do I do next? I went into control center, clicked on airdrop, and selected "WiFried (D2DWiFi Off). Rebooted my phone and it doesn't seem to be any better :-/

7. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Just installed it, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks.

8. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I'm getting the same results with speed test but I'll keep it for now and see if daily use is any different.

9. tateu macrumors 6502

No difference for me, iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1. On my home WiFi, I got about 70-80 Mbps down before and I'm getting about the same after.

What I am noticing is if I enable the Tweak (AirDrop: WiFried), reboot and then ping my device:

ping -t 192.168.10.2 (iPhone WiFi IP Address)

the results are all in the range of 20 - 130 ms. If I disable the tweak (AirDrop: Everyone) and ping my device, the results bounce back and forth from 1 ms to over 2000 ms.

And I definitely have to reboot after re-enabling the tweak to get the good ping results. If I just disable it, the ping results stay bad.

10. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

Make sure next to the word Airdrop it actually says WiFried and not just off. If it says off, then turn Airdrop on and then select WiFried. I notice if airdrop is off already by using the actual off option, it doesn't seem to go into WiFried mode directly. You have to turn airdrop on first then select it.

11. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Are you saying to reboot after selecting WiFried Off?

12. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

You reckon there's any sort of risk installing this? I'm asking this because I don't really like to mess up with carrier or wifi tweaks since normally it ends up killing the jailbreak

13. Grolubao, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I just installed it anyway and couldn't find any difference in the wifi speed results, although the ping did improve

14. trsblader macrumors 6502

Thanks. I tried again for good measure and got the same results. That's just doing small speed tests though and my actual network is always a factor too. I'll use it throughout the day and really put it to the test and see if there's a noticeable difference.

15. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I don't think so. Reading the explanation is re assuring. Its not like it flashes drivers or anything of that sort. Plus do it while 8.1 signed if you're apprehensive but tempted.

Seems to be working great on 6+ and rMini

16. tys macrumors 6502

I was optimistic, but unfortunately it has NOT resolved my intermittent disconnect issues. :-(
    However I think it was designed to help wifi SPEED issues, which I haven't had, at least as far as I can tell.
    Doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I guess I'll keep it installed just in case there is some speed benefit.

17. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

I uninstalled it from my iPhone last night shortly after installing it. It would turn my wifi off and on randomly. I literally watched the wifi signal disappear and my phone connect to 3G, then back again, obviously causing whatever I was doing to not work.

Didn't see that issue on the iPad but uninstalled just now anyways.

After reading the explanation on the site I just turned airdrop off on both devices since I never use it anyways. I'll see how the performance is with that setting.

18. tys, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

tys macrumors 6502

That's what mine does, both before AND after installing WiFried.
    WiFried didn't make it any worse, though.
    Interesting that for you WiFried caused the exact problem I was hoping it would fix!
    Update: installed the new update just now. Still getting the random disconnects, however. :-(

19. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Report it, this is the fixes time.

20. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

mine works fine after installed it they fixed

21. tateu macrumors 6502

Any time I change from one of the other options to "WiFried (D2DWiFi Off)," I need to reboot to see any improvement in ping times.

22. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Ah I get you, I was out of it last night

23. tys macrumors 6502

I tried to report in Cydia, but it doesn't provide an address for the developer ("to" field is blank)

24. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

His Twitter is in the link