Wiget ideas..

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Heres a thread for you to put forward your ideas for what would be a great widget. Apologies if its in the wrong section (should it be programming? i dont know:O) i have searched and i couldnt find anything similar, but feel free to point me in the direction if there already is a thread.

I'll start the ball rolling -

An ebay watch list widget. This would be awesome. I could check how long before an auction ends by hitting F12 :).
Radio Times tv widget for UK. Save me having to laod that bookmark every hour or so :)

I've got no idea how you would go about making one, otherwise i'd make a start myself. (well i've read how to make a widget and i can do that, but any of the java/php/whatever to actually make it read ebay i've got no idea about!)

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Applespider said:
Here's your UK Radio Times widget
Awesome!!! I'll never miss trashy soaps again :)

Applespider said:
I want a widget that uses one of the developer 'Framing Gallery' frames and the user can select an iPhoto album for it to randomly choose pictures from when activated.
Thats a good idea, i got the low overhead widget for looking at pretty people, and thats a similar idea. surely this one must be possible

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
buryyourbrideau said:
i would like an ESPN news widget or something that can update news and scores something straight from ESPN

that would OWN! :D
I agree, this would be great to have! I'm surprised that the only sports widget out there right now is the MLB Scoreboard. If anyone could come up with a sports scores/headlines widget delivering them from ESPN, that would be awesome and I'm sure it would get tons of downloads.

Applespider

macrumors G4
besler3035 said:
If anyone could come up with a sports scores/headlines widget delivering them from ESPN, that would be awesome and I'm sure it would get tons of downloads.
I mailed ESPN about them creating a widget since any small developer doing it would likely be hammered by copyright issues. They did try Motion for Mac although it wasn't well implemented but always said that doing the Bottomline wasn't possible. So I suggested that they give us the Bottomline as a Widget.

Perhaps if they get a lot of requests, they'll consider it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
a good calculator that does a little more than the calculator widget. nothing super scientific but more digits, log, ln, sin, cos and such stuff.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
A movie theater widget. You enter your zip code on the back and then select the theater you want. Then on the front it tells you what movies are playing and at what time. Would save me from having to go to fandango.com or moviefone.com and entering in this stuff all the time.

Applespider

macrumors G4
elliotay said:
A movie theater widget. You enter your zip code on the back and then select the theater you want. Then on the front it tells you what movies are playing and at what time.
Have you clicked that 'More Widgets' button lately or visited dashboardwidgets.com, there are a few movie theater widgets out there - at least for the US.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Applespider said:
Have you clicked that 'More Widgets' button lately or visited dashboardwidgets.com, there are a few movie theater widgets out there - at least for the US.
well then a widget that lists new widgets from dashboardwidgets.com is in order!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
andiwm2003 said:
well then a widget that lists new widgets from dashboardwidgets.com is in order!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that would be great!! I could keep on new widgets cause i need to know how many days/hours/mins/seconds the NHL lockout has been going on ... :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I'd like to see Temperature Monitor get a widget add-on, I would use that quite a bit!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Well, I don't have tiger yet, so I don't know if it exists, but a keyboard commands widget would be nice -- you know, a convenient list of all the keyboard commands.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
yeah someone make a macrumors widget with page 1 and 2 rumors.. than submit it to apple and see if they post it on their widget download page LOL! :p

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
a motivation widget. it shows you some cool smileys and stuff to keep you alive during long workhour with no macrumors.com access......... :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I want someone to do a Penny Arcade widget... that actually looks good! The one someone made already looks hideous. I gave it the boot out of my Dashboard because it's so ugly! And one that's actually functional! Where's the back/forward buttons so you can look at previous comics? Come on, it can't be that hard!

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
An envelope printing widget would be good. Enter your default return address on the flipside, and just enter the destination address on the frontside and press a 'Print' button

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
CubaTBird said:
yeah someone make a macrumors widget with page 1 and 2 rumors.. than submit it to apple and see if they post it on their widget download page LOL! :p
Maybe a countdown to the release of the powerbook g5? :D Or to the release of iTMS Subscription Service? :eek: Or a random Apple rumor generator? :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
Maybe a countdown to the release of the powerbook g5? :D Or to the release of iTMS Subscription Service? :eek: Or a random Apple rumor generator? :)
I want a random Apple rumor generator...hours upon hours of enjoyment! ;)

itchster

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Raven VII said:
I want someone to do a Penny Arcade widget... that actually looks good! The one someone made already looks hideous. I gave it the boot out of my Dashboard because it's so ugly! And one that's actually functional! Where's the back/forward buttons so you can look at previous comics? Come on, it can't be that hard!
the guy who made it said no to back and forward since penny arcade depends on ad revenue, so you would need to visit the site so they get hits ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
itchster said:
the guy who made it said no to back and forward since penny arcade depends on ad revenue, so you would need to visit the site so they get hits ;)
Can't you get most Penny Arcade stuff with iComic? iComic has a very simple interface, and it allows you to go back and forth. I only get Dilbert with it right now, though.

Actually, just checked. iComic definitely has a Penny Arcade plugin.

Here is the site for the Dashboard version of iComic:

http://www.ruxp.net/iComic/dashboard.asp

You have to join a Yahoo Group to get access to the comic plugins, which is annoying, but there is definitely one for Penny Arcade there. :)

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
Raven VII said:
Agreed.

Widget I would like to see: The pizza widget - so I can order pizza online without actually navigating to say...Papa John's website.