Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys.
So I have never liked any of Apples own bands. I always go with 3rd party, specifically leather.

I've noticed that on really every 3rd party strap I have tried on my 4th gen 40mm, the adapter (or whatever the metal thing that connects the strap to the watch is called) jiggles around slightly on both sides. I also noticed a very very tiny amount of movement on the stock silicone strap that came with my watch (only on the upper side)

Anyway, is this normal with 3rd party straps? Should I be worried about the bands popping off?

Thanks

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hey guys.
So I have never liked any of Apples own bands. I always go with 3rd party, specifically leather.

I've noticed that on really every 3rd party strap I have tried on my 4th gen 40mm, the adapter (or whatever the metal thing that connects the strap to the watch is called) jiggles around slightly on both sides. I also noticed a very very tiny amount of movement on the stock silicone strap that came with my watch (only on the upper side)

Anyway, is this normal with 3rd party straps? Should I be worried about the bands popping off?

Thanks

No, I have Pad&Quil, Sena and Nomad. No loose metal adapters on my 1st Gen. or 4th Gen. 44mm. Nothing loose on my Apple Mesh.

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
No, I have Pad&Quil, Sena and Nomad. No loose metal adapters on my 1st Gen. or 4th Gen. 44mm. Nothing loose on my Apple Mesh.

I’ve had nomads for both my 1st and 4th and both were loose, along with every other leather strap brand I have tried. Either I have no idea how to install the straps haha or I’m incredibly unlucky with straps

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Does anyone else have this issue? Even with cheap amazon leather bands? Or am I going crazy? Just really confused how I could be the only one. Thanks

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Hmmm I bought only one 3rd party sport loop, SYRE, from Amazon, for my 40mm aluminum watch, and there is no wiggling.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I have had wiggling with many 3rd party bands. My Arrow & Board that I just purchased has a bit of wiggle in it. Nothing too bad, though.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Are we talking about a poor fit of the adapters when installed in the watch? Or are we talking about the band moving within the adapter?

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Are we talking about a poor fit of the adapters when installed in the watch? Or are we talking about the band moving within the adapter?
For me it's the adapter moving within the watch mechanism. It fits great when first installed...but as I wear the watch, the adapter moves within the watch canal a bit. That may be an Apple design so the adapters don't break. However I'd say I see it more in 3rd party adapters than I do with official Apple Watch bands.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
For me it's the adapter moving within the watch mechanism. It fits great when first installed...but as I wear the watch, the adapter moves within the watch canal a bit. That may be an Apple design so the adapters don't break. However I'd say I see it more in 3rd party adapters than I do with official Apple Watch bands.

Well I have a couple of additional third party bands coming. I'll see if my luck holds. The wiggle thing would bother me to no end!

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013

For me, it's the actual adapters moving back and forth. I find it hard to believe this isn't an issue for everyone and 3rd party bands. I've tried over a dozen, they all do it. I must just be more sensitive to it than others. But it is very annoying

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’ve had hit or miss experiences with the lugs on 3rd party bands. I can tolerate a modest amount of play but some have been so sloppy that I sent them back because I felt like the connection could actually fail at the lug. It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to dial this detail in but I guess some (too many) manufacturers are more content with subpar specs.
I have a 3rd party Milanese loop and a Carterjet nato band that are excellent in their fit and finish. They were both sub $20 and at this point that seems like what I have to pay to be satisfied with the quality, which is fine with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.