Wii Buzzing noise, tri-wing screws stuck

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone. I finally got sick enough of my Wii buzzing that I want to open it and fix the problem. The fix is fairly well known and the fix is described in lots of places, but I can NOT get the screws out. I bought the tri-wing screw driver, and one of the screws it's needed for came out normally, but the 4 tri-wing screws on the bottom are tight as can be. I'm really afraid I'm going to strip them, they will just not budge. I had a friend who deals with handycrafts try it too, and he couldn't get them to come out either. His suggestion was a thin drill bit to just drill them out, but I'm a little worried about breaking the Wii with that. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for getting these out? Anyone else with the same screw problem? These 4 are just a nightmare (all the normal screws came out fine).

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Are you using the 1 piece screwdrivers or the Bits? If you haven't tried the bits I would try and get a 1/4 inch drive ratchet wrench, a 1/4 inch bit adapter and the tri wing bits that will allow you to apply more torque to the screws.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks for the advice, though it's a 1 piece. I've tried to get some more torque on it, and the metal part of the screwdriver itself bends. They are in there incredibly tight :(, I have no idea why, this is the first time I've tried to open it up.