Wii Component cables

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just got a HDTV this morning and wondering if there will be any difference buying a £2 component cable and a £20 big brand one?

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I got a set of ~$4 component cables for my Wii from monoprice.com and while I don't have an official $25 set to compare them with it looks just fine to me. I wouldn't recommend anyone spend an extra $20, 30, or 40 on the big brand pair. There's no technical reason why there would be any difference.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I also bought mine from monoprice. I did notice a difference when switched to them. It didn't improve resolution or anything, but colors were more vibrant and the image was smoother because of the 480p. Don't expect the Wii to look as good as the PS3 or 360, things are still gonna look jaggy.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tried a cheap pair and tried a more expensive. There was ghosting on the cheap pair, obviously they are poorly insulated or such.

You've bought a HDtv - now treat yourself to a decent cable. £2 spent now, will only lead to £22 spent later ;)

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I meant that there's little, if any, difference between the cheap-o component cables and the $25+ brand name ones. There's a definite difference between the component and the composite cables. Things are sharper and smoother at the same time in 480p. The color is brighter and more accurate.

I'd definitely get component cables, just wouldn't spend more than $5 on them since you don't have to. Just wanted to clear that up in case I wasn't being clear in my first post.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've got no ghosting or any interference with mine. You need to get them from a reputable source, and be sure they're well shielded from outside interference, but if they'll ship to the UK I really recommend monoprice.com.

I'm going to order a second set of cable from them (and a wireless IR bar and another power supply) so I can quickly and easily move my Wii from the TV downstairs to the theatre room upstairs. Playing in the living room is convienient because I can start up and play quickly, but the Wii should be tons of fun on the 96" projector screen and 5.1 surround (even if it is just DPLII).

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I've sent off for some £5 ones. If they ghost I'll just complain like hell and get my money back.

Yea I'm not fussed by resolution or anything like that, it's just too fuzzy and strobey with composite cables. Any colour benefits would be nice too, as well as progressive (though the TV does a mighty fine job of upscaling to progressive anyroad).

Another question! Do we get 576p in the UK or is it just the US standard 480p?

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

480p.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I ordered one for $5 along with my HD-DVD drive from Geeks.com :) Will let you know how it is.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well it arrived! Despite saying the item was based in the UK it was from Hong Kong, cheers for the extended delivery guys.

Works like a charm. No problems at all. Cheap cables do seem to work after all. Tested it with Galaxy, Prime and Mario Kart and it's all good but I've got to get back to work now:eek:

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just though I'd also throw in that Gamecube games appear much sharper too. I don't know if it's the TV upscaling but it seems progressive to boot, fantastic picture quality compared to GC on composite. Shame about the lack of widescreen in many GC games.