Wii + Ethernet- is it standard?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 31, 2008.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was curious if anyone knows whether the Wii USB Ethernet adapter was a proprietary Nintendo thing, or if the Wii has the necessary drivers to use an Ethernet-to-USB adapter picked up at, say, Radio Shack or Best Buy.

I'd like to see if it removes my latency on Brawl, since I'm using a long WEP encryption key at the moment. There's zero lag (choppiness) so I know my connection speed is fine, so I figure the latency I get has to do with the time it takes for packets to get from my internet connection, to the router, to be encrypted, sent wirelessly to the Wii, and decrypted by the Wii.

Thanks.

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Just for you, I plugged my Linksys 200M EtherFast USB Ethernet Adapter into my Wii and it didn't recognize it.

So don't buy that one (although it works with TiVo).

I bet if you could figure out who makes Nintendo's adapter, you could purchase its PC counterpart.

Nintendo says:

"Please note that other, non-Nintendo manufactured devices may not work correctly with the Wii console."

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWiredTS.jsp

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

just do some googling - it's pretty easy to find a list of adaptors that are known to work. Or just get a cheapo on ebay