Wii + HD-PVR or EyeTV Hybrid

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prnoct90, Dec 7, 2009.

1. prnoct90 macrumors regular

I want to use my Wii on my mac, and I am trying to decide between two devices.

Elegato EyeTV Hybrid - I have heard from multiple people that this will work with minimal lag. But, this only take composite and s video which will only be 480i

Hauppauge HD-PVR - This is originally made for windows, but is supported by the eyetv software. But, I have never heard of anyone using it to play games from the Wii on a mac specifically. I don't know what the lag will be like. This uses component and allows 480p.

Does anyone have the Hauppauge? Is there a significant delay when used with a mac?

2. greg400 macrumors 6502

I have owned a Hauppauge HD PVR and an Elgato EyeTV250 Plus. If you plan on playing on the computer, then the Elgato will be superior due to its game mode option with supposedly zero lag (although still noticeable when playing games where every split second matters). If you go with the Hauppauge HD PVR, it will be near unplayable(two second lag at the very least) as it has no game mode like the Elgato but you get a 480p resolution. If you get the Hauppauge you can always loop the signal to the tv then back using the component cables it comes with to record but judging from what you are saying I don't think you want to record any gameplay footage so if you are strictly playing on your computer then go with the Elgato(pick up a Wii S-Video cable while you're at it, it's a pretty decent improvement over composite).

3. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much. That was very helpful information.