Wii/MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, May 18, 2008.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

So I wanna buy a new computer and also want to play games. So I have two choices:
    A Macbook low end coupled with a Nintendo Wii
    OR
    a low end Macbook Pro

With the MBP, I should be able to play Oblivion and Orange Box alright and I will be able to game on the go.
    But with the Wii/Macbook, I will get a mor practical and powerful enough computer and a dedicated (and fun) console for the gaming which should last me quite a few years.
    So what o you think I should get?

PS the Macbook (not pro) is enough to serve me as a computer but not gaming device.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go for the Macbook/Wii combo. The Macbook will be able to run the lesser demanding PC games after all. Unless you get a cheap iMac (will play new PC games) and a Wii. Depends on how much you really need a portable system I suppose.

Awkwardly, IMO, the 2 best games I've played for a long time have been Orange Box (specifically TF2) and Mario Kart Wii :D

I think this is something you're going to have to find out yourself.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

While I love Mario Kart Wii, I think you're better off buying a Macbook Pro. In my opinion, a Macbook Pro will last you a lot longer, and of course, you can get Orange Box and Oblivion or whatever for it.

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

How will the MBP last me much longer? I expect the Wii to churn out excellent games until atleast 2011. Whereas the MBP's GPU will get outdated within 2 years unable to play any game decently. The MB's size and portability seems more practical.

5. gideondk macrumors newbie

Looks like you already know the answer to your own question? :)

6. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm yeah lol. To what extent can the MB play games?

7. wideholic macrumors newbie

wideholic

MacBook Gaming

Since Macbook can play games like CS , WoW and other ones that are most

popular you can expect average gaming experience. However, I recommend go

for Macbook Por or at least compare the spec between game you play and

Macbook's spec.

Iam getting Mac Pro :)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The next MacBook update that includes the new integrated graphics chipset (forgot the model......maybe X4500?) will be far better than what we have now, and will extend the length of its usefulness for gaming.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Macbook Pro anyday, a Wii gets very boring after a while, and the games are all the same so far. If anything, get a 360 and MB.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

WII/MACBOOK

Games for the Mac suck!! (well except for WOW).

11. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

I have a wii and a macbook. I would not trade this just for a MBP.

If you really want gaming get a cheap PC?

With the wii, you will have a lot of fun, just understand that there are only about 10 great games for it - now, they are amazing games but you have to know it is not like a PS2 that has a lot of good games.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had no idea Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Brawl etc all played the same :rolleyes:

You've also got to include the additional cost of games for the 360, Xbox Live and pricey accessories. Good thing is PC games are very cheap, in the UK they're on par with Wii prices.

13. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

MB and Wii. No Question.
    a MB will play most games a MBP can (not quite as smoothly), plus you get a wii!

14. GUILTIE macrumors regular

360 + Mb

I vote to get a 360 and a Macbook like the other guy. I have a Wii and a 360, and this Wii is cool to show friends and stuff for the first month, and then it's incredibly boring. My Wii is dusty, but I play my 360 everyday. I guess I'm what you call a hardcore gamer, so it might be different for me.

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

yeah, my view is from a hardcore gamer, bought Ps3, Bought Wii, Sold Wii, Bought 360, now i play them both, around 8 - 10 hours a day total.

16. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

go for the wii/mb combo. or better yet, get a midrange macbook for $1300; an xbox 360 for $350; and a PS3 for $400. that's $2050 total, $50 more than a low-end macbook pro but you'll be getting more for the money. to sweeten the deal, wait till they offer apple student discounts with free ipod and printer deal this summer if they do offer it again like they did last year.

17. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Really, the question is...what games do you play now and who do you play with. If you are into FPS then the Wii will disappoint. If you like Nintendo-like games then totally get the Wii. I have both the Wii and a MBP and the Wii is great for party/family games and I take my MBP to lan parties to play TF2 and CS:S.

-mx

18. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like playing games for their gameplay. The gameplay is what matters most to me. The gameplay should be accessible, easy to start, get into etc. I get bored with games with stories and which walk me through the story like Half Life 2 and Resident Evil.

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The Orange Box IS HALF LIFE 2. Oblivion is also a very story-centric game. Saying you like 'gameplay' isn't really enough for us to make a choice, because all consoles and PC have games with accessible gameplay.

Tell us what games your favourites are from the past few years. What kinds of games do you like (driving, shooting, platforming etc)?

20. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I certainly like strategy games. I loved one of those Smackdown games.....yeah it was Smackdown Here Comes the Pain. hmmm cant remember really cuz I havent gamed for a long time but yes I love strategy games in general.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Macs don't game. Get a MB, get a Wii, then see where you're at. I have a MBP and I hardly game with it, it certainly isn't worth the extra $900 you'd have to pay for the graphics card.

22. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I agree with the consensus. If the only reason to bump up to the MBP is for a few games, than it's too expensive, and you can get a PC to game on for the cost difference.

I'd start out with a MB (after WWDC), and then do some research on console games. The Wii is great, but it's target audience is not necessarily the same as those of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Check out the available games, as well as those not yet released. Choose your console by the features and games it can play, and how they appeal to you.

The PS3 can play blu-ray movies and (eventually) will act like a media center, as well as a console game. The 360 already has media center capabilities, but no blu-ray option (yet?). Both Wii and PS3 are newer than the 360, and have a much smaller catalogue of games. But logically, you can assume that their game libraries will continue to expand. The fact that they're newer than the 360 means they'll also last longer, although they all last at least 5 years anyway.

The Wii is cheaper than PS3 and 360, but many of it's games are typical of Nintendo, and geared more towards casual gamers, but not all. The Wii is great for parties and groups, as people of all ages find it appealing, even those who never used a console game before.

Wii Games (note you can adjust the list to show new and coming soon lists as well)

PS3 Games

360 Games