Wii: MLB Power Pros

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by iKwick7, Sep 12, 2007.

1. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Anyone see/hear anything about this game?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/...clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;7

I remember renting Powerful Pro Baseball for the N64 back in the day. Some tiny little obscure video store had import video games occasionally, so me and a few friends gave it a good rent. It was entirely in Japanese, so all we could really do was get to an exhibition game and play- and what an awesome game it was! I have been wishing for it to come to the U.S. ever since.

Then I stumble upon this today- and it's coming out in a few weeks! MLB teams and players, super deep create a player mode, sounds like an awesome game!

I cannot wait to get my hands on this!

And Powerful Pro Baseball fans out there (or fans of other similar type games). This looks PERFECT for the Wii.

2. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I am trying to reserve judgment until I can read some actual hands-on reports, but the gameplay itself looks to be dated.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22706.html?type=mov

You'd think that more than twenty years since Nintendo's Baseball, they would have figured out the whole "Where the hell is that ball in the outfield going" routine...

3. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Having just watched that gametrailers video, it looks like whoever was playing has no clue how to field a ball in baseball- they were running at the ball att the wrong angle every time!

I've played Powerful Pro Baseball- it's an incredibly deep, fun game. I am going to reserve this game this week without a doubt.

4. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

So this game has been out since yesterday- anyone play it yet? EB Games still hasn't received their shipment so I don't have it yet.

I'm reading tremendous things about it over at IGN. Supposedly a VERY deep baseball game.

5. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Apparently it doesn't use the Wiimote very much - even menus have to be navigated using the D-pad.

Personally, I can't go back to swinging a bat by pressing buttons. That's so last gen.

EDIT: This isn't to say that there *are* no waggle controls at all. Waiting for a more complete review to clarify...

6. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Here's some hands on impressions from me (that I originally posted over at IGN):

-It seems you can only use Mii's in the Wii-mote modes. No biggie for me.

-The roster are mad old......

-but it's ok, because this game doesn't suck and allows you to change EVERYTHING about a player- name, number, voice, style, attributes, etc. First thing I did was update the horribly old Yankees roster, starting with adding Joba Chamberlain. Very nice that you can do this. Massive props.

-I am playing with the classic controller- I don't like the Wiimote controls. Everything controls great, simple to pick up and play, awesome animations, dives, slides, jumps, etc.

-There's some cool things you can do when editing a player, such as choosing as many "special abilities" as you want, like Power Hitter, Walk Off Hitter, Fan Favorite, etc.

-I can't say I care for "success mode." It's just seems to be a mish mash of multiple choice options to advance a player through 3 years of college, storylines and whatnot, hoping to make it to the big leagues. I'll try it again later, but it just seemed really boring to me.

Here's one thing that is just amazing about this game- I started a career/season mode, and instead of picking a team, I created one. Unlike any baseball game I have ever played, however, in this game when you make a team you don't have to get rid of a team. You have to make 2 new expansion teams. Sweet!!! So I made two expansion teams, the Blue Sams and the Foxborough Squirrels, and started a season. My team sucks! I got my ass handed to me by the Mariners in game 1!

-Fielding is fine. Ever play mlbpa bottom of the 9th on the playstation? It reminds me of that. Hitting is great- there is a cursor shaped like a bat. Once you get good at it you can hit the ball where and how you want to depending on where the ball hits that cursor,

-I think the overall play is great. One thing i dont like is that you automatically take control of whoever is closest to the ball when on defense. Baserunning is great. I really like the batter pitcher interface.

-I like the commentary. Its only one guy, but he says a lot and doesnt stop. His play by play is geat, if a little robotic.

-Every team is there but the rosters are old.

-I haven't seen an option to use a mii in season.

I 100% recommend this game.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry but it is pointless to buy this game if you don't use the wiimote as it was intended. If you're choosing the classic controller over the wiimote because all it wants is the dpad then the game failed in my opinion. I don't care if I can edit a player down to it's toes, I just want to swing a wiimote like a bat.

8. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Maybe you should give it a try- the control is tremendous.

Anyone play this yet? I am addicted to this game, big time! I made to players in Success Mode and am a few weeks into my season in Season Mode. There are so many little things that make this game so great.

And man, is it deep!

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah I heard some good reviews for it on a podcast I listen to. I have been looking for it for my PS2 since it's $20 cheaper on PS2 and Wii doesn't support widescreen etc. anyway (from what I have heard)