Wii mod chip risk?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 11, 2008.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've completely ignored the Wii modding scene so far. Is there any risk in getting a modchip in a Wii at this point?

I've discovered a local Smash Bros tournament league I never knew existed, and they've got a guy modchipping everyone's Wii's so that they can play the Japanese Brawl import :eek: and I'm sorely tempted to bring him mine. It's been offered.

Should I?

I've had my Wii since launch, so there's no warranty left, but since Nintendo doesn't provide a way to transfer your Virtual Console purchases to a new system, modchipping is a bit of a risk in that respect if a firmware update comes along and bricks it.

Is there any risk of that happening?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I don't know of the risks involved, but if the only reason you want a modded Wii is to play Brawl a month before it comes out here, I would wait. But if there is a whole world of cool stuff you could do with a modded Wii, then go for it. But like you said, it might all collapse of Nintendo sends out a crippling firmware update.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

To be honest the wii is not worth modding unless you are a pirate.

Why?

Simple. Legitimate imports can screw up your wii completely. Either they have firmware updates on the game that force your wii to update if there isn't a compatible update in your territory and this can brick your wii.

Then secondly even if your wii isn'y bricked there is more than a good chance the import will not work and you will be left with a game you cant play / use.

I bought Batallion Wars 2 and it will not work in my Wii with original wiikey with latet firmware.The only way people have managed to get the game to work is from a rip, and then apply a region patch and then play from DVD.

Which is just pure ***** in a bag really. It means that I probably wont risk buying anymore imports in case they dont work on my Wii and therefore waste my money, or potentially brick my wii.

WASTE OF TIME! unless like I say your an ISO downloder and burner. I'm not, I'm an importer... and therefore for me the Wii Mod Scene is utterly useless.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If your sole purpose is to play import games, wouldn't it be better, then, to just invest in a Japanese Wii? Safer too?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's actually what I'm thinknig of doing. Sell the wii and buy a USA import.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Since it's a launch Wii apparently they are easier to mod.

7. Fabulospink macrumors newbie

where to buy a wii modchip?

i want to buy one, and i also found there is a site called Volumerate to sell this wiikey.

the price is not bad though. but any guys bought there?

The link is http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.60005.

actually i am not so free with on line shopping. but the price is really attractive.

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

There's other reasons besides pirating. Say you have kids who damage discs...much easier than constantly losing money with scratched cd's.

Paul

9. mac-man99 macrumors newbie

wii mod

If your wii is from the launch, its very easy to mod it with the wiikey, takes about 15-20mins tops, if like me its not you run the risk of making an arse of it ( like me),
    done my mates no problem, but mine was a different story,

but worth it if you have access to games (download)

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Is there only solder wiikeys out or are there solder-less mods out there? I know I need to learn to solder, but I prefer not to practice with a $250 device :eek: (I want to buy One Piece Unlimited Adventure: only available in Japan)

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

You can take it to any electronics or small time gaming shop (do those still exist) and have them do it for you. Pretty easy to find someone who can do it for you.

Paul

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Ah, good to know. However, I don't live in Thailand. I should have mentioned I am in the US and things like that are hush-hush

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

I assume they have electronics stores outside of Thailand :) And they need a buck, hush hush or no. Or just put a listing on Craigslist or something. All I was saying is that there are plenty of people out there who know how to do this procedure and many of them aren't super high up moral folks :D . Just explain that you have kids who scratch discs regularly or you like to play Japanese imports that you buy. Someone will understand. Or send it to me and I'll have it done here in 15 minutes :D .

Paul