Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agilus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Haven't seen this posted on here yet, and I thought there'd be some interest/discussion.

According to vgchartz.com, the Nintendo Wii is market leader in home console business.

So, do you guys think VGChartz is reputable? I see that they get weekly sales data and create their charts based on that. They probably miss some data, but I would figure this would give an accurate (but not precise) representation of worldwide sales.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Interesting indeed.

It's worth pointing out that this is worldwide.

360 is still ahead in America and "Others", but Wii, as to be expected, absolutely owns Japan in comparison to the 360.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Awesome. Now to get to first in all regions so theres no doubt the Wii is in first :D

Would also be nice if other games and consoles advertised themselves here, other than the DS and film games.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Well until the 360 is cut to $200 and has games that my grandma will wanna play the Wii is gonna reign supreme. Cheap price coupled with most hardcore gamers owning one as a second/third system and then the dreaded casual gamers getting in on it = lots of $$$ for Nintendo.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Cool, now lets get some 3rd party developers to back nintendo with some original games that aren't complete ports with added motion sensing.
And online play on all games...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
ˆˆˆI personally trust VGACharts more than a company like MS. :)

I second steamboat26's comment. But on that note, RE4 was meant to be a Wii game, and fortunately the era of the waggle-ps2-ports is ending.

<]=)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
didn't expect it so soon... i thought the starting early would hold longer world wide thanks to the US

japan is clearly wii land compared to the 360 and in some european countries the wii has already overtaken but in the US the 360 is still ahead

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
To everyone questioning the reliability of VGChartz:

I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, VGChartz takes the monthly figures reported by NPD (the same ones we at Nintendo Players use for reporting monthly figures), and simply adds them all up to get their numbers.

However, there are several MAJOR chains that do NOT report their numbers to the NPD (including, I believe, Target. Maybe even Wal-Mart?), thus, I would NOT consider their figures totally accurate, since they DON'T count everything sold at several major store chains.

However, their figures ARE rooted in a measure of reality, so if they claim Wii has passed 360, I would say that this has probably already happened, or is very close to happening (since it means that by the numbers of all the chains that report to the NPD, Wii has outsold 360, which just leaves a few chains as wildcards).

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Yeah,
In statistics after a certain number, throwing out wild cards, you know the answer to a relative percentage after a surprisingly small test area...so I'd say if the trends show this even with certain retailers off the list then it's probably within a couple percentage points of correct at the very least...

If any of that made sense. I hate spending all day at a school where everyone is speaking English as a second or third language :)

Paul

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yeah while the numbers are a little of perhaps i think statistically quite a few things cancel them out or more important the trend is clear

but it needs to be said that the christmas shopping season might bring a lot back and forth into play since all console have their big releases

(my wii especially is going to get some single player action, paper mario in sept metroid in oct, galaxy in nov and zack and wiki in dez and then 2-3 other games)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.