Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmacosx

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hi,

I recently purchased a Nintendo Wii and a TV Tuner box hoping to hook it up to my MacBook Pro's monitor. I connected all the correct ports (DVI port>DVI to VGA adapter from Apple>TV tuner box>3-colored things>Wii). Then I switched on the computer to Windows XP SP2, to no avail. The box is a GADMEI XGA TV Tuner. It is 'Plug and Play', and does not come with any software of any sort. Help... The guy who sold it to me said it would work with a laptop. It works perfectly fine on my HP PC, also running XP SP2 however, I don't think the computer needs to be switched on. I simply plug the box in, turn the monitor on, and voila, the GADMEI loader launches. Any way to make the MBP's monitor work like that? I've got Leopard 10.5.2 and Windows XP SP2 and (if it matters) a 9C80 monitor. Thanks!

mrmacosx

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi,

I recently purchased a Nintendo Wii and a TV Tuner box hoping to hook it up to my MacBook Pro's monitor. I connected all the correct ports (DVI port>DVI to VGA adapter from Apple>TV tuner box>3-colored things>Wii). Then I switched on the computer to Windows XP SP2, to no avail. The box is a GADMEI XGA TV Tuner. It is 'Plug and Play', and does not come with any software of any sort. Help... The guy who sold it to me said it would work with a laptop. It works perfectly fine on my HP PC, also running XP SP2 however, I don't think the computer needs to be switched on. I simply plug the box in, turn the monitor on, and voila, the GADMEI loader launches. Any way to make the MBP's monitor work like that? I've got Leopard 10.5.2 and Windows XP SP2 and (if it matters) a 9C80 monitor. Thanks!

mrmacosx

OK.. the DVI port on the MBP is OUTPUT only. So I'm wondering how your connecting your Wii to the MacBook Pro... well?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Why you would want to plug a wii into a laptop is beyond me, but the dvi on the mbp is output only.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
there is no input in for the MBP display, just output so you won't be able to use it as if it were an external display.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
The DVI port on the MacBook Pro, or any laptop for that matter, is not a video in port, it is video out only. This means that tuner card probably won't work.

You have to connect the Wii to the MacBook Pro using a USB or Firewire video capture card. This setup will also require the computer to be on, you to run special software that comes with the card and will have some lag that can sometimes make very fast games difficult.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I have a similar problem. Try as I might, I cannot shoot bolts of light from my eyes at people that annoy me.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have the EyeTV Hybrid and play my Gamecube on my 24" iMac, though I have to admit it still isn't big enough (an MBP screen would suck to play on). And the DVI output issue is pretty funny to me.
Go buy a TV, man.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I tried to connect my PS2 to my laptop with a USB TV tuner once, and although I got video and sound on the laptop, games were not playable because of a 1-second lag between the time I pressed a button on the controller and the time the result happened on the screen. It was possible to watch TV since sound and video were delayed equal amounts.

The product linked to above does appear to work with games, but if you use anything else, expect a lot of lag.

Vedhead

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
get darwiin remote...it will let you control your MBP with your Wiimote. As for connecting the Wii itself, sounds like a job for Ben Heck (of whatever his name is)...

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
This is like the second or third time I've seen someone wanting to hook up their console to a MBP and every time it makes me wonder for what purpose they would want to do this. I mean do they just not own a TV or a larger external LCD they can hook it up to or what. A laptop display is just much too small and imperfect to bother.

mrmacosx

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
RE: Wii on MacBook Pro's monitor

I have a similar problem. Try as I might, I cannot shoot bolts of light from my eyes at people that annoy me.
Ha! Agreed.

OK.. the DVI port on the MBP is OUTPUT only. So I'm wondering how your connecting your Wii to the MacBook Pro... well?
You think I'm lying eh? Well, there's like 5 cables that come with it and one fit, like it should according to the instruction manual.

Id recommend to stick with a bigger regular tv when playing a wii
Well, there's a reason why I don't use a TV, as the only TV in the house always has one or the other grandparent in front of it.

I have the EyeTV Hybrid and play my Gamecube on my 24" iMac, though I have to admit it still isn't big enough (an MBP screen would suck to play on). And the DVI output issue is pretty funny to me.
Go buy a TV, man.
True. To me, DVI is DVI. So, the EyeTV isn't a great option either? And no, I can't afford a TV. I might be spoiled for my age, but I'm only 11! I just used most(like 9/10) of my savings for what, the last couple years on the MBP.

This is like the second or third time I've seen someone wanting to hook up their console to a MBP and every time it makes me wonder for what purpose they would want to do this. I mean do they just not own a TV or a larger external LCD they can hook it up to or what. A laptop display is just much too small and imperfect to bother.

Yeah, my parents do have a 17" external display that I'm using right now, but like I said above, I can't carry it out to the living room where there's more space. And at least I'm not using a MacBook monitor, or even an Eee PC monitor!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Ha! Agreed.

You think I'm lying eh? Well, there's like 5 cables that come with it and one fit, like it should according to the instruction manual.

Well, there's a reason why I don't use a TV, as the only TV in the house always has one or the other grandparent in front of it.

True. To me, DVI is DVI. So, the EyeTV isn't a great option either? And no, I can't afford a TV. I might be spoiled for my age, but I'm only 11! I just used most(like 9/10) of my savings for what, the last couple years on the MBP.

Yeah, my parents do have a 17" external display that I'm using right now, but like I said above, I can't carry it out to the living room where there's more space. And at least I'm not using a MacBook monitor, or even an Eee PC monitor!

Good lord 11?!? Man thats young! Might as well bought a macbook and a nice 32-37" hdtv. Or used the eyetv budget to buy an edtv or just bought a tv before the wii.

How do u afford games for the wii kid??

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

You're not spoiled if you bought the machine.
Yeah the Elgato EyeTV is exactly what you want then, it'll do the job if getting a TV isn't an option (I didn't realize your age).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.