Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360: Help Me Choose

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ucfgrad93, Oct 31, 2009.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am looking at getting my son a game system for Christmas. We have never had a game system before, and I know absolutely nothing about them. Which would you choose and why.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how old is he?

if he likes shooters, the 360 is more geared for that. however, the same games are on ps3 and the ps3 has free wifi which is nice

the wii doesnt interest me really and ive had one

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My son is 9. I'm sure there are plenty of games available for each system that he would like. Just not sure which is the best system to get.

4. CTeditor macrumors newbie

wii's are cool if you like the practical side, it gets old for me though. If he's young he'll probably love it
    if he's older though PS3 hands down, graphics and controllers are better than Xbox and almost all the games on Xbox are on PS3

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my opinion: the ps3 as it has all the same games for the most part as the 360 and some nice exclusives, free online, bluray and quiet

the 360 has been alot of trouble (my brother has gone through 8 of them from RROD) and has scratched up games where they cant be used. it is a nice console though in terms of the game catelogue. halo and forza are nice titles

the Wii is ok, it cantplay movies though which is a downer if you wanted to double it up. however, mario galaxy is awesome. however, it is fully backwards compatible if you had a gamecube which was nice for my fam at least

this is biased so take it as you may lol

6. str1f3 macrumors 68000

If your son has gone this long without one, honestly I'd recommend against not getting one. I'm a former gamer (& just play casual games on my iPhone) and have had a console every generation since the Atari 2600 in the mid 80s.

One things I notice about kids from Gen. Y is that they don't get out as much as I did even when I played games a lot when I was a kid. I went out and played sports with my other friends at that age as well. They just stay inside now. While I understand he's only nine, I'd just get him concentrated on other stuff that wasn't a waste of time. The only benefit you get from playing traditional console games is faster reflexes. That can also be gained through sports as well.

If you really want to get him a console, I'd get him a Wii. It will get him more exercise and he probably won't be on it for hours at a time. It will just be for casual use and not a lifestyle.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Depends what hes into. The 360's lineup is primarily shooters but the PS3 has some more RPGs. (Ot, never mind most of those RPGs are M)

Just get him a DS. XD

8. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

To start out: I do NOT own a 360 (but I have no reason to do so).

PS3 vs. Wii

PS3:
    Hardware: High Definition Gaming (on HDTV), Free online play from sony, Blu-Ray movie support, quiet, USB ports, Wi-fi capabilities, nice controllers, graphics are still very good on standard TV, comes with 120 GB HDD
    Games: HD gaming, action games are great on HDTV, almost all major games are available (no Halo!), great exclusives (Metal Gear Solid!), games have more content than their respective Wii versions
    Cost: $299 + $60/ new game

Wii:
    Hardware: Standard Definition gaming, motion-based controllers (can get your arms sore after playing for a couple of hours), supports GameCube games and controllers, Wi-fi capabilities
    Games: Usually meant for younger kids or early-stage gamers, have Mario games, games are generally shorter than their PS3 equivalent titles, game selection not that great
    Cost: $199 + $50/new game

If you are not a gamer and would like to partake in your kid's gaming experiences, I would get a Wii for now. You can always get a PS3(or 4) later when he will care more about graphics and gameplay --- the Wii will satisfy a 9 year old.
    If you like to play games and would like your kid to join you for some real gaming then a PS3 is the way to go. He can learn to use the PS3 easily, especially if you are comfortable with the device.

Personally, I find the Wii to be losing ground with their bland gaming selection. Nonetheless, 4 player Mario Kart and Sonic Olympics on the Wii are always fun when friends come over. I love what the PS3 offers despite the higher game price, these games are worth it and the selection is GREAT.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Most kids I know really enjoy playing on the Wii. Get the Wii and WiiFit and Wii Sports and you'll have a healthy kid who has lots of fun :D

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I own all 3 and a good quality gaming PC and that picture is quite correct. :D

The xbox 360 and PS3 are good at emulating a low-mid end PC. If you already have a good PC or Mac then get a Wii. It's the only system that really does anything different. As a console gamer since the NES days the Wii is the only one that I really enjoy playing now with stuff like Mario Kart, Brawl, Metroid Prime series, Mario Galaxy (possibly the best console game of the last 2 gens combined!). IMO it's just the most fun console I've ever played, let alone the most fun this gen.

It also has a download service full of the best games of yesteryear. I've pumped in way too much money on that for all the classic games I loved as a kid. And it has World of Goo (insanely fun game, there's a PC/Mac version too).