Wii Sports Resort

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Nintendo shipped Wii Sports Resorts yesterday in North America. It's $49.99 here plus $19.99 for an additional Wii Motion Plus accessory.

I'm on the fence. I would love to get it because I enjoyed the original. However, the $70 + tax price tag seems a bit steep considering we don't really know how relevant the Motion Plus will be to future Wii gaming.

Currently, Motion Plus is only supported by a handful of games including Tiger Woods PGA tour.

Anyone buy it? First-hand reviews?

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It's always nice to buy a new Wii game (since I don't play it enough), so yes, I picked it up.

It is a pretty good game. There are a few games that I don't like in it (airsports, wakeboarding, cycling), but the rest of the games are pretty good. My favorites are Table Tennis, Frisbee, and Swordplay because they really show off the motionplus. Table Tennis is really cool, you can put spin on the ball and really aim your shots. There is a return challenge were you just have to return ball after ball, and sometimes cans pop up and if you hit them you get extra points. It's actually quite addicting. In Frisbee you can easily affect your shot when you throw it, and there is also a Frisbee golf mode that is fun. There are also little awards that you get (like achievements) and, just like in the original, you gain points with each challenge and can master the game modes by getting 1000.

So to keep this short, the game is pretty much a Wii Sports title with more stuff and better controls. If you liked Wii Sports, you'll probably like this.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This game looks really cool. I want to buy it, it's on my list. :D

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

My wife was about to grab it yesterday, but since we had a few unexpected 'budget busters' this weekend we held back ... and the kids couldn't scrape together enough on their own to buy it ... so we wait a bit :)

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I picked it up yesterday. It's really a lot of fun. Yes, frisbee, sword fighting and table tennis are great. I also love archery a lot. Bowling is also as good as ever. Cycling and wake boarding are my least favorite of the 12 games. I haven't tried golf, yet, or any of the additional subset games in the categories.

If you own a Wii, Wiii Sports Resort is a must purchase. :)

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I was playing a ton of the return challenge in Table Tennis. I just can't seem to beat my high score of 64 :\.

7. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Both Wii Sports Resort and Tiger Woods 10 are great fun. If those were the only two games released for Motion + I'd still be happy.

I'm not a huge golf fan at all but I love disc golf on Tiger Woods (I am awful at regular golf). I figure I have two games and two Montion + units and I only spent $10 more than I would have on two games (TW10 $60 + WSR $50.)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bloody developers, slow down a little! I've still got a mountain of games to finish...
    Y'know when I was a kid I thought to myself, yea I like playing games. I know... I'll get into development and I can play all the games I want!
    NO.

So yes. This joins my always expanding list of games to buy and play.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

So, what you're saying is that if you like playing games, you would recommend not getting into game development?

I have a cousin who is pondering what he wants to do when he gets out of high school. He really enjoys games and has been wanting to learn how to develop them. Should I argue against it, mentioning your experience...not really being able to play games anymore because of what you do? I'm not sure what advice, if anything, to give him on this subject.

Back to Wiii Sports Resort. Am I the only one who wishes that it had an online component? I don't often have a chance to play it (or the original) against anyone.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That would be awesome for online play! You should have a wii bowling party! Everyone likes that the best. :D Especially when everyone has their own Miis.

11. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Does the Motion Plus thing make it that much better? I have been playing Tiger Woods 10 without it... If it does I might go pick one up.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It depends what your cousin wants to do. I like to be involved with every aspect in development so it means I'm always busy. I bought Chinatown Wars on the DS a few weeks back and fell in love but I'm still at 6% completion because I can't find a good time to play it. But other folk in my position outsource work or just do 1 job at a time. That's sensible and not insane.
    Maybe. I like Wii Sports for the party atmosphere it brings. Having it online would kinda defeat that. But I do think throwing in some continuous online mode (like Mario Kart) where you can join/leave games on a whim would work with this series. I'm not sure a global highscore system would be in the spirit of the game.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The difference is night and day with MotionPlus for Woods. You'll notice right off the bat how much more true it is to your movement, as it can pick up very fine movements. It also eliminates any glitches that occur without it, like your club unexpectedly swinging backwards and screwing up a shot.

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They force it on you in Resort. Something I can smell in other games coming soon. Quite the fun, buy the game then realize the $49.99 cost of entry requires $24.99 x3 if you want to play with 4 players.

They should have let you play without the motion plus, but then I guess it wouldn't have meant it would be a $139.96 + tax game for four players....

The game isn't bad, in fact I can see it being quite fun the next time I have some guests over. The pricing model forcing you to buy motion plus modules for every controller is what bothers me. Let me decide, especially at $24.99 per module. So be it if you lose some accuracy.

That said, yes I did get the game + 3 modules....

15. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Might as well go buy one so I can play the WII Sports Resort I got today and my tiger Woods 10 I have had.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

$25? You mean $20, right? I don't see a point in having 4 motionplus devices. Most games will probably work best with 2... Of course, I also only have 3 wiimotes :D.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

LOL. I'm cheap, so will stick with 2 adapters at most, since it's bundled with these games. :)

I played TW with 3 friends and we handed around one Wiimote. :O

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

MSRP is $24.99 for the wii motion plus thing.

19. nintendude macrumors 6502

The MSRP is $19.99, its just that Gamestop is selling it for $24.99

20. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Haha! Ya, Gamestop likes to sell stuff for $5 extra (I've noticed it many times). That's why I only buy stuff on Amazon or at a local Best Buy....

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Eh, interesting. Well thats the only shop that was close to see a price, I never looked online. Good thing I rarely have to pay for such things :p

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We picked up the game/sensor kit in Target along with a 2nd sensor.
    It's a lot of fun. It's nice to have a new reason to turn on the Wii again after what seems like a very long drought.

Highlights so far:

Disc golf
    100 pin bowling

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Lesson: don't play the swordplay challenge continusously for over two hours. I think I slightly strained my shoulder doing that. A few of the levels were kicking my butt and I kept saying "one more time." :eek:

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I really really really really hope, that the next Zelda will have sword play, the bow treatment, and of course the Wind Waker style of art, then I'll be one happy mofo. :)

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Last night I watched my son play through all ten levels in about 90 minutes (he's 8). He was sweating at the end.

The wakeboarding level is pretty cool, and Archery on Expert is tough!