Wii U (Pre E3 video impressions)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MRU, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

2. MRU, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

My impressions = confusion & annoyance

Generally the video starts off well and then from 15 minutes in it's downhill for me. In fact I should have really turned off 15 minutes in, and I wouldn't have so many concerns.

The 'social gaming skit' is offensive to my every sense. Is that Nintendo trying to be funny ? Is that Nintendo's idea of a hardcore gamer ? Seriously a guy who narrates every button press "on no, by button press is so ineffectual"....

Mammoth FacePalm!!!

In one 5 minute skit they basically isolated me, made me cringe but not in a 'so bad it's good' way, but just in a 'omg that is so bad it's just awful' way.

Never has a demonstration video made me never want to use a product as much as that, and I shall be having nightmares going forth ;) (drama queen)...

Secondly the Wii U Mii based menu system ??? WTF ??? Seriously they have to allow me to disable that. When I turn my computer/console on I do not want to be bombarded by other peoples Mii's and their comments. Seriously how long before people start drawing nob's and posting offensive words on their Mii comments.

Thirdly,

I praise the new Wii U controllers redesigned thumb sticks... BUT a bigger concern to me is the new traditional controller (360 cough), which is described in Nintendo's owns words as lighter and more comfortable for longer play sessions...

[​IMG]

The point this seems to make to me is that the tablet controller isn't comfortable for long play sessions, and if you have the option of using a standard controller instead, how is that implemented in games ? Does that not simply cement the fact that the tablet controller and it's screen are indeed unnecessary gimmicks ? If that's the case why bother in the first place ?

The video has left me somewhat disappointed and perplexed.

Tuesday's demonstration of gaming content has some way to go to address this for me. But so far color me unimpressed.

3. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Did they ever change the "only one tablet controller can be used per system" limitation?

If not, then this may just be the answer to "what are the other players in your living room going to use?".

----------

Besides that, yeah, the commercial was cringe-worthy, and the MiiVerse thing looks pretty horrible.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo (which I still have, use, and enjoy!), and from the looks of things, that's not gonna change anytime soon.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the fact that when they introduce the traditional controller they describe it in the video themselves as "lighter and perhaps more comfortable for longer sessions of gaming"... and again more suited to multi-platform titles.

Clearly not designing this controller just for additional players.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to say I disagree with everything you said and find your comments very baffling. It's like whatever they do they aren't going to please people which at least for its not true.

The social gaming skit isn't at all offensive and shows Nintendo is going in the right direction of its online structure and communicating with other gamers. That video was a just a demonstration and in reality the gamers experience won't be as corny as that for the sake of a better description.

The menu system is fine and whilst it would be my first choice for an interface I can see why they went with that and I don't have a problem using it. In practice I think it will be a lot better to use then it's shown in this press conference.

As for the new controller it's a valid introduction and Nintendo obviously realises as much as the new tablet controller can provide cool gaming experiences not all games and genres are suited to it and a regular controller is needed. It also means hopefully local multiplayer can use those controllers rather then the Wiimotes from the Wii. The tablet controllers are going to be expensive and even if you could use more then one most people probably couldn't afford to own additional ones. Whilst I have some reservations of the design especially how it resembles the god awfull Xbox 360 controller I'm sure I'll get use to it.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't read any comments online until an hour ago, watched the trailer live.

I'm massively impressed by this. What I saw was Ninteno fixing a slew of problems the Wii had.

-massively connected, almost social gaming infrastructure
    -accessible traditional controller
    -(appears to have) a name based unique-name online account system

I like where gaming is heading. The Vita has a more cumbersome version of a social infrastcture too and I'm a big fan of that too.

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Got to say I thought it looked good. I cannot wait to see what they have up their sleeves for the rest of the show. The introduction of the "Pro" controller is absolutely brilliant news, not to say I don't like the tablet thingy though. I am hyped.

Can't wait to see some PS3/Vita stuff later. :D

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm not keen on social gaming and prefer solo games. However, I'm glad they are making a major push into that area for those interested.

As for the controller, as long as its confortable and works without having to be connected to a Wii remote to work, I'll be happy.

9. Nuck81 macrumors regular

The Action Figure video was a little corny, but did a great job in showing and explaining the features coming with WiiU.

I thought it was solid, but haters gonna hate.

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Wow, people still say that? :rolleyes:

Move on, Internet, time for some new one-liners!

But seriously, I think MRU's take on it is a pretty sober one. AFAIK he's owned every Nintendo console so far and will certainly buy this one, too. That would qualify it as a somewhat neutral unbiased opinion to me, based on what he's seen. I happen to agree...but I guess not owning any Nintendo systems since the SNES could disqualify my opinion, cause I may be a "hater". :)

Much unlike Mr. C, who has been praising everything Nintendo was going to do right with the WiiU since before we even knew what they were going to do. :p

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But what was the problem? All I saw in that pre-E3 announcement was a bunch of solutions to problems that plagued the Wii. It was done very cheesy with the advert section, and Iwata couldn't present a cat... but the content of the message was there.

I was prepared to put up with Nintendoisms for the WiiU, but I guess that won't be so difficult or even a problem now.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

Umm no.... I take it you've been hiding under a rock for the past year or so and not been following what's been reported on the Wii U and and what Nintendo have been saying regards their strategy moving forward with the Wii U and 3DS. I take it you are blind in the observation that Nintendo seem to be showing they have learnt from their mistakes.

You might want to go back and read everything I've posted so far here and on other forums regards Nintendo. I have commented on both their past mistakes and also given them credit where credits due. And yes I've owned every Nintendo Console since the NES. It's people like you who are biased and judge them on their past rather then objectively looking at what they are trying to do moving forward.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You're the only biased one here, at least the only one being blatantly biased. You're far from objective when it comes to anything Nintendo and your posts show it.

Just a reality check for you, not meaning to be rude.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nintendo has clearly with it's casual user fixation over the last number of years left many gamers with the impression that it no longer understands / see's the modern hardcore gamer in a realistic fashion. E3 2012 was / is meant to be the re-fashioning of that impression. One where they rectify the mistakes of the past and prove that they are indeed still relevant to the modern young and 'mature' 30 something gamer....

So when their first opportunity of setting right the wrongs (by that I don't merely mean fixing online issues or adding a new thumb stick) by showing that it does understand its audience and re-address its seeming abandonment of ts core audience - it goes on to present a very unfunny patronising portrayal of this user base.

The social gaming skit wasn't funny - it was just terrible. It paints hardcore gamers as pathetic individuals who have no social skills, as much desirability as a turd on a stick.

Do you think any other company who portray/present their consumers in such a manner? Do you think the fashion industry, cosmetic industry, car industry would market their products whilst portraying their consumer as a glorified losers?

To me it was almost a confirmation that Nintendo doesn't understand who I am, and who it's hardcore consumers is.

Now im not stupid i do understand that Nintedo was perhaps trying to be tounge and cheek, that maybe in Japanese Language or as a Manga animation it may have been mildly humorous, but the skit was so badly produced and written that it crossed the line of being so terrible that it was just really bad. It simply was not tounge and cheek enough, and clearly the producers and writers did not understand what actually makes CAMP comic humor work. That is; only when something is so bad, yet there is a still a respect for the central protagonist that the audience can find something to actually 'like about them', you forgive the badness and laugh with it.

There was little to like about these central protagonists, they were just pathetic.

It did not work, and left me with the impression or almost an affirmation that Nintendo really don't understand or give a **** about me. One of their stallwart users, but one who now feels utterly alien to them.

15. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Why did you assume that they were trying to protray a "hardcore gamer" (such a stupid term by the way)? Unless it hit a little close to home.

I and the vast majority of people didn't take it that way at all. It was just a goofy skit trying to highlight the social features of the WiiU. Would you have rather they have gotten onstage and done some of the God Awful Kinect stuff we've seen the last few years?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why criticise my view point and throw out childish attacks without preferring anything yourself in regards to the Pre3 footage or now e3 footage?

:rolleyes: