Wiife has a 6 coming but now wants 6+. How to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bgriz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bgriz macrumors newbie

Her 6 is coming tomorrow (AT&T), she's seen how much I like my + and now wants to exchange hers asap after her delivery. I'm not well versed at the particulars of "how to" but I gather that it is not possible to "reserve" a + at the Apple Store for pickup since this was a 2 yr upgrade and we already are having a phone delivered. Am I correct that the only way to do this is to monitor store stock then race off to the store in hopes of getting one to exchange to? Thanks for your help!

2. cymolia macrumors 6502a

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Same thing happened to me. My wife saw me on the porch yesterday watching a YouTube video on my plus and I see her looking over. She then says, I miss my plus lol. Tried to tell her the 6 is better for her but she was not hearing it. Anyway, she went to the Apple Store and basically got the last 6 plus 128gb for AT&T in all of Houston. No Apple Store has any!. She's very excited and will not stop talking about how she missed watching and seeing things a lot easier. I feel your pain. Yes you have to find one in stock first to exchange.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Where did you order your wife's iphone 6? Apple or through AT&T?

If she order the iphone 6 through Apple.com, you can take it to the apple store and see if they can do an exchange for a 6 Plus, provided that they have it in stock. I know that for Apple, iPhone ordered online can't be returned at the apple retail store, but I believe Apple still accepts the returns anyways.

You might run into problems though especially if you return the device, it may take a while for her eligibility to reset. I've heard some people having issues when they return the device, they did get the eligibility back on AT&T, but the apple server doesn't recognize it yet so it make take a while.

If she ordered through AT&T then she will have to return the device through AT&T, and get her eligibility back.

Yes you will need to keep checking. istocknow.com is very good site to use. That's how I managed to exchange my iphone 6 Plus.

5. Bgriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordered through Apple. Hopefully I can locate a 6+ and hopefully the Apple Store will allow the exchange. I'm aware they might or might not allow that. I plan to not even open the sealed package, maybe that will make a difference.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Good luck. I'm pretty sure they will allow an exchange.

7. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter if you've opened the phone or not, used it, etc. Just go into the Apple Store and explain your situation to a manager. Worked for me, as a store which showed no 6+'s in stock, suddenly had a 128GB 6+ in stock for me. Last one in the store. Maybe you'll find similar luck.

FYI no need to worry about resetting eligibility, or if you bought online. None of that matters. They do the whole process right there. Takes like 5 minutes to switch the phone over.

8. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

once you Go to the Apple Store, you'd be able to exchange it right then and there if they have the proper model that you want in stock. you are still in your return period for sure.

If they don't have the 6+, I would return the 6 and wait for the upgrade to reset (which in my experience took 20 mins), and you might have to check Personal Pickup stock often to find the 6+ in the configuration you want.

9. Bgriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the upgrade reset with AT&T that quickly? It certainly makes sense it should in 20 mins, but I seem to recall reading others with stories saying it took 3-5 days to reset. Will still probably just return it anyway and wait for a reset if we can't find her preferred configuration.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It depends, On monday, I did an return/exchange, and got my eligibility back, and was able to get a new one instantly. But yesterday I decided I didn't want to use my upgrade, so I returned it, and just purchased another one as device only. So as of now, my at&t account says that i'm not eligible for any upgrade or installments yet. But AT&T rep told me that they do see it on their system, it just takes a while.

As others have said, you shouldn't have any problems.

11. Clevans macrumors regular

I did a return/exchange yesterday in Apple. It took about 25 minutes for my eligibility to reset once the return was processed with AT&T. The employee and I just stood there refreshing the information until it was finally escalated and then we got the approval

12. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

For me, it did. I had signed up for NEXT 12 on AT&T as well. After returning the original phone that I purchased on NEXT, I was able to order the one I wanted through Apple.com on a new NEXT plan on the same line within 20 minutes.

However, I have also heard the stories from others regarding long waits in upgrade restoration time. Not sure if they were 2 year contracts, or NEXT subscribers though.