Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
My non-Magsafe Belkin wireless charger works fine on my iPhone 12 PM - super slow but works for overnight charges.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Can confirm the Mophie Steam Pad+ doesn’t work even after iOS update.

It makes initial connection but stops change after about 2 seconds.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My PhoneSoap that has a Qi charger built in won't charge my 12 Pro with the (Apple) case on.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I’ve been using this charger

With this case

With no case my 12 Pro charges just fine.
In the case it can be a little finicky about placement but I can always make it work.
The case doesn’t have magnets but it does have a metal plate in it for use with a magnet holder in my car.

The light on the charger goes out when the phone is fully charged.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah exactly. I love the charger, it's built well and feels great. It's very nice. Pisses me off Apple had to introduce this magsafe crap that interferes with things that worked perfectly fine in past and in every other device. My 11 Pro Max charged perfectly fine on the base station pro, my Pixel 3 does, and so does the AirPods Pro case. Besides this issue I really like my iPhone 12 Pro Max but I bought the base station pro specifically hoping it would charge fine with this phone, since it won't I'll probably end up returning it.

I would be curious to know what Nomad says, I will probably contact them as well in case I end up deciding to return it. It's not a cheap wireless charger so I don't want to keep it if I can't fully use it.

They just released a new update, hopefully this addresses some issues,

Edit - the touchscreen issue I'm experiencing is still not fixed but device detection does appear to be faster.

Edit 2 - still randomly stops charging, I wonder if it's some kind of heat detection feature, since I'm noticing the iPhone get fairly hot.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
clearly you all need to buy MagSafe lol my belkin works sometimes and the next day not...certainly been odd.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I saw a video on YouTube where they stated that Nomad released a firmware update to fix this issue. So depending on your firmware, you may have charging, or maybe not. Anyone having nomad issues should look into it.

Update: Googled it: https://nomadgoods.com/pages/freepower-update
To be clear that’s Base Station Pro - I’m referring to the prior model just called Base Station that has normal big Qi coils.

TheReAlMackey

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
Can confirm Samsung wireless charging stand EP-N5200 works with iPhone 12 pro.

FWIW my Samsung wireless charger is black colour manufactured 13 Oct 2020 in Vietnam.

sample size of n=1 but hope this helps someone looking buy a compatible wireless charger for their iPhone.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Hopefully Apple releases an update soon that addresses these issue. It's unfortunate that something which worked without any issues for years and is an industry standard is now broken, you'd think Apple engineers would make sure it's fully compatible...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hopefully Apple releases an update soon that addresses these issue. It's unfortunate that something which worked without any issues for years and is an industry standard is now broken, you'd think Apple engineers would make sure it's fully compatible...
And here was me thinking they were doing it on purpose to get people to buy MagSafe lol

Reactions: Ron21

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I also purchased the new Belkin TrueFreedom Pro and can confirm there are issues with iPhone 12 series,

Ended up returning it and looks like Belkin just updated the page to confirm it's not compatible with iPhone 12 series.

I wonder if that means these types of chargers will not work properly with iPhone 12? Since I'd think Belkin (which is an official Apple partner) would have insight whether or not an iOS update can fix the issues.

Last edited:

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
My Samsung EP-PN950 Fast Charger works fine with my 12P, I use it to charge over night on the nightstand.
I have a MagSafe charger with a Spigen puck to hold it in the living room as an alternative.

eddiezus

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2019
Logitech's Powered Stand and Powered 3-in-1 doesn't work with any 12. Their support team confirmed it.
This is very odd. It works with my 12PM using certain cases.

Apple Silicone W/ Magsafe: ✅
Otterbox Symmetry: ✅
Tech21 Clear Evo: ✅
Otterbox Defender Pro: ❌
Otterbox Anue W/ Magsafe: ❌ (Works for 15 minutes then shuts off, sometimes)
Speck Presidio Clear Grip: ❌

I want to say for some of these cases, it makes the phone a little bit too tall, or the MagSafe magnets are messing with the foreign object detection.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It is almost like they want you to buy MagSafe accessoires instead huh? :mad:

Reactions: Ron21 and DeanL

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Suppose to be an update coming to fix this it seems
I am not sure a software fix will solve the hardware problem. The hardware has changed and the coils have been moved ever so slightly to accommodate the MagSafe magnets. I have 3 all in one chargers that do not work with my 12 Pro max now. They worked with my 11 Pro max but not the 12 case or no case. It says it is charging when the 12PM is placed on the stand..but sometime in the night it stops charging...so annoying

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I am not sure a software fix will solve the hardware problem. The hardware has changed and the coils have been moved ever so slightly to accommodate the MagSafe magnets. I have 3 all in one chargers that do not work with my 12 Pro max now. They worked with my 11 Pro max but not the 12 case or no case. It says it is charging when the 12PM is placed on the stand..but sometime in the night it stops charging...so annoying

My Phonesoap Qi charger won't work at all but my Anker one works most of the time but sometimes stops and won't work again until I power cycle the phone. I'm hoping the software update fixes that.

Reactions: jamezr

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
clearly you all need to buy MagSafe lol my belkin works sometimes and the next day not...certainly been odd.
I'm in the same boat. I thought maybe it was the way I placed it on the pad (vertical Belkin). So now I've been verifying that the charge indicator on the phone is on when I put on my phone on it. Woke up this morning and it didn't charge.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
There is some issue, and I hope it's software related, where even if the iPhone 12 series is placed perfectly on the wireless charger, it randomly stops charging. It's very annoying to wake up and the phone didn't charge.

I actually started using the lighting cable to charge for now.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I have the Anker Powerwave 7.5 stand model a2522 and it does NOT work with my 12 Pro. With or without my apple leather case.

my coworker has the Anker Powerwave stand a2524 and it DOES work but will not fast charge, even with using the Anker QI quick charge brick.

unless there's an update soon, I'll be returning it. it charged quick as hell for my iPx yesterday which is what I wanted (today's my first day with the iP12).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.