Wiki Setup

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jasnw, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jasnw, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

jasnw macrumors 6502

I am considering using a Wiki as the framework for a project that will involve a group of widely dispersed individuals. I want to set it up first on my home network to work out kinks, and then host it elsewhere when the collaboration starts. I'm considering using MediaWiki as the platform for this. I have apache running on a Mac Mini already (running Mavericks), and will use that as my local test host.

Any suggestions on (a) MediaWiki as the platform, (b) getting MediaWiki running on a Mac , and (c) a good final host for the wiki? I want to go with open source rather than commercial for the platform.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

I suggest ponying up the $19 and getting Server app, then it is basically a one click setup to get Wiki running.

PS. Update your server to latest OS before purchasing Server app.

3. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running the OS X Server app (Mavericks), but I am not (and will not) be running website-related functions through it. I tried using it when I set up Apache server and had too many problems, so I just went with a separate install. I'm also in the process of installing WordPress for other uses, also separate from the OS X Server app.

4. jakeOSX macrumors regular

i use MAMP for all my development on the Mac, I highly recommend it. MediaWiki is robust and pretty easy to set up / use. I have tried a few, and always come back to it.

You can set up groups for restrictions, as well as limit the ability for just anyone to register. If it is a closed group, I do suggest that. You can also make it so only logged in members can read any of the Wiki, again, that may be valuable.

5. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502