Wikipedia, MxTube, eBooks on iPod Touch Firmware 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by MagikMonkey, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MagikMonkey macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about upgrading my jailbroken 1.1.4 iPod Touch, but I'm hesitant about losing some of my apps. I was just wondering if there are replacements for these, through the App Store or Cydia, on 2.0.

1) Wikipedia. I downloaded the 2GB dump and an app that allowed me to use it, then added it to my iPod using SSH. This is SO useful, so I really want to know if there's a replacement.

2) eBooks. I know there are a few eBook readers out there, but all the books are ones where the copyright has expired. My current eBooks are from some1guy's repo, and I want to know if there are similar options on Cydia for recently released books.

3) MxTube. This one is really useful as well, I want to be sure I can use it on 2.0.

If you can help me with any of these I'd be really grateful. I want to upgrade, but I don't really know what the jailbreaking community is like at this stage. Thanks in advance.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Wikipedion is a good app for Wikipedia. As for the other apps, I'm not sure.

3. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I meant Wikipedia offline. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I got the dump and the app for 1.1.4 from here: http://collison.ie/wikipedia-iphone/

Anything similar to this on 2.0?

4. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

MxTube, and eReader; don't know about Wikipedia

I too had 1.1.4 with Wikipedia offline on my iPod touch. However, I only have 8 GB, and this took up 2 or 3 GB of that amount which left me with little room for anything else. Therefore, I got rid of it.

Several weeks ago, I updated to 2.0, which was very buggy. 2.0.1 was slightly more stable, and 2.0.2 is the best right now, though I just yesterday had to do a full restore, probably because I chose to upgrade my jailbroken 2.0.1 without doing a full restore instead, then using quickpwn. (3rd party app store applications quit on launch, jailbroken and Apple's apps worked as usual.)

I would however encourage you to upgrade to 2.0.2, but don't pay $10 on it (why should you if iphone users get it for free, especially if, like me, you were a sucker for the $20 january software upgrade:)). Overall, it is certainly worth it, and I haven't had many problems with 2.0.2.

Now as far as applications are concerned, here are my favorites:
    eReader (from App Store) for reading books
    mxtube (from Cydia)
    Mobile Terminal (Cydia)
    Remote (from App Store) for controlling iTunes
    NetNewsWire (App Store) great RSS reader
    Transformer (Cydia) make ipod more like iphone
    Make it Mine (Cydia) change iPod or AT&T to whatever else
    Cube Runner (App Store)
    AOL radio, Pandora, Last.fm (AppStore)
    SwapTunes (Cydia)
    Cube Runner (App Store)
    Aurora Feint (App Store) I love this . Worth upgrading just for this.
    Hangman (App Store)
    SolFree (App Store)
    Tris (App Store) Get it before it is pulled for copyright issues
    Super Monkey Ball (App Store)

All of the above are free except for Super Monkey Ball.
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good whole-filesystem managers, like MobileFinder in 1.1.4. It was ported, but App Store's restrictions cut down the features; not worth it

Still waiting for MobileCast to be ported.

To jailbreak, if you are using a Mac, use Pwnage tool latest version (google it, result is for iphone-dev team blog). You can add applications into your custom firmware bundle, allowing you to save 15 minutes downloading cydia apps from your iPod touch. After making your custom firmware bundle, restore with iTunes, pointing to the bundle (shift-click or option-click as you know). On windows, use winpwn like pwnage tool, or use quickpwn after restoring stock 2.0.2 firmware bundle, much like ZiPhone in 1.1.x

Good luck! I hope that this helps you.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

via app store but requires wifi to be able to search anything

via app store

available via cydia

so come on and join us 2.0ers

6. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

1. Yeah, there's a wikipedia app.

2. stanza is very very good, it allows you to use your own ebooks.

3. Yep Yep, mxtube has been ported to 2.0+