Wikipedia Offline on an SD Card?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bobob, Feb 23, 2010.

1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

There is a commercial version of the entire downloaded offline Wikipedia for mobile phone OS's called WikiPock available preloaded on an 8Gb Micro SD card.

However, I realize Wikipedia is always available in a current version for download. What I'm looking for is a procedure to download it in a readable format onto an SD card myself. I would prefer to have it cross-platform so it could be read on either Win XP or OSX.

Does anyone know of an application to do this or a link to a detailed written procedure?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Erm... most modern smart phones come with unlimited internet data plans. Who would want an offline version when you can just check it online anywhere you are?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are still many places on this planet, where a mobile phone is useless due to no connection being able to be established.
    And no, I'm not talking about the countries we so politely call "3rd world countries", as it happens in the 2nd and 1st too.

6. bobob thread starter macrumors 68030

bobob

As per my OP, I don't want it on a smart phone, but rather for use on XP or OSX.

The purpose is for use as an offline reference if the internet is unavailable (eg: in a blackout for use on a solar charged laptop).

I appreciate the link, I had found it when looking for the source for current downloads, however the procedure for making it usable is beyond my level of computer literacy.

I'm hoping to find an explicit step-by-step procedure for making an easily readable SD card that I can just pop in the slot of a computer.

(If the WikiPock I mentioned in my OP was available for (non-mobile) Windows, I would just buy that - - at $24.99 including the 8Gb Micro SD card it seems like a bargain to me.)

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ah, okay. I didn't know US carriers were so lacking in coverage.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Even Europeans do. I was in the mountains, I think the powers that be call them the alps, and no cell reception, unless you are on the top of the mountain.
    And in the rural areas of Germany, one can also have no cell reception, depending on the carrier as it seems.

9. afawcett macrumors regular

I'm never without service and I live in the US. Occasionally if I'm in a basement a few floors underground I don't have service.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

unlimited data plans? this is either very hard to find or very expensive in the U.S.

I live in the Boston Mass suburbs and there are lots of places where you can't even make a cell phone call, either on Verizon or AT&T, and we're only 3 miles from route 128. Zoning laws in mass make it hard to get new cell towers in the suburbs - people suffer from a bad case of NIMBY. (not in my backyard).

When I travel I get better cell reception outside of Mass than I do in my home town.

11. bobob thread starter macrumors 68030

bobob

Is that the European word for apps?

But, kidding aside - - this discussion on the availability of US cell reception is all very interesting, but I was still hoping someone might be able to help me with my original question...

;)

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Why not use Okavix application? It's available for windows, linux and OS X. It basically let you download wikipedia in the various languages and give you access to it offline.

You can use torrents to download the wikipedia packages or do it directly from within the app.