Wil I miss optical stabilization?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mortenjensen, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

hi all

I am really disappointed not to see optical stabilization in 6s. Are their any explanation to this?

I plan to upgrade to 6s mainly for video shooting but I really do not want the footprint of the plus. What to do?

How much will I miss this feature? Any ideas?

Morten

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Checkout the following video for comparison.

3. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I moved from a phone with no OIS to the 6s Plus. I was amazed at how well IOS worked. I would highly advise everyone to go with the 6s Plus for OIS and the better battery.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yes, Apple would like for you to spend more money.

5. bmustaf, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

bmustaf macrumors regular

That's perhaps one way of thinking about it or looking at it, but I'm not sure it's really substantiated by the facts.

I am not sure the assumption that AAPL makes more money on the + is actually true. It is a more expensive to purchase device, yes. But, it is also more expensive to produce (especially b/c they had to spin up a new part of the supply chain and a new part of the assembly line) and their margins there are probably about the same. We don't have these facts and these are assumptions going both ways. Moreover, Apple had their proverbial arm twisted by the market into making a phablet, they did it to avoid losing market share, they hardly did it to try and make more money. Sure it makes money for them, but it's not a diabolical plan by Apple product planners scheming to steal more money from you.

But the facts we DO have is that the camera module that includes OIS is substantially larger. Is OIS in the 6S worth the tradeoffs? An even smaller battery by 10%, less RAM, no 3D Touch, or worse sound quality b/c of smaller speakers? I think the answer there is obvious, the market speaks on that pretty unequivocally, you don't need to be a market analyst expert to understand that choice.

Plenty of great things to malign and bash Apple about, they're certainly a profit and revenue maximizing machine, but, really, man, come on, get your facts straight before you make statements the facts don't back up. Just look at the two modules side-by-side, the OIS adds a whole lot of size to the sensor (see second photo in Step 10):

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6s+Plus+Teardown/48171

Apple artificially forces upgrades after planned obsolescence, artificially disables features in software to force upgrades, etc, crow about that and the facts are on your side, but, well, you're off in left field on your on this one, man.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Hey, great post with some great information! I was just making a one-off comment and not meaning to be crude towards Apple (which is a company I love), but your insightful post brings some great information to the table. I just bookmarked it and will point to/reference your thoughts when this type of discussion comes up in the future.

Thanks!