Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
With the new H.264 coming with Tiger and how it's really efficient, does anyone know if iChat will support video conferencing for computers slower then a 600mhz G3? My family has a couple of computers which are slower then that and it would be nice to use an iSight with them. It seems to me that if this new coding is more efficient, that would mean a slower computer could handle it.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
that's not what Im asking

we have cable internet, it's the speed of the computer that's the problem (one is a 500 mhz iBook) which isn't supported for the video option of iChat, just wondering if maybe it will with Tiger and H.264.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Usually higher quality video requires more CPU. But a more efficient encoder can reduce the hardware requirements to encode and decode video with the new H.264. Perhaps that it will be used in mobile phones will suggest that you don't a powerful Mac.

Hopefully the hardware requirements will be available in a few months. Apple may just fudge them to be higher so people upgrade and build that requirement in the software. :mad:

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
wwooden said:
we have cable internet, it's the speed of the computer that's the problem (one is a 500 mhz iBook) which isn't supported for the video option of iChat, just wondering if maybe it will with Tiger and H.264.

Try the iChatUSBCam (look on http://www.versiontracker.com). I bought this and had used the iSight with a 400 Mhz iMac successfully (I have since upgraded to an iBook and soon the iMac G5!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.