Wil Windows work well or not using Airport Extreme Base Stations with Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SD-B, Sep 1, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

I have 2 Macbook Pros on my desktop.
    I have my router bridged and I recently saw a fantastic deal for a 2011 Airport Extreme Base Station.

Before I set that up, I was having problems with my wifi cutting out and having to reboot the router once or twice daily.
    After reading a long post about my needing to buy a Base Station I have not looked back.

Yes its 2011 but my needs aren't complicated and it works great!!!

Now, I don't know if anyone here can answer this but I figured I would try first in MacRumours......

I recently picked up a new Samsung Series 5 Win 8 laptop that was a pretty good and I put it back to 7 as i did not like 8 as most feel as well. This is my first foray with Windows in over a decade.

In any event, I can't seem to have it STAY on wifi at all, although my macs do, the iPads do, my iPhone and even my samsung phone works well on it when home.

But this damn laptop just won't seem to stay on more than 15 min after I reboot it.
    I suddenly see a red X through the icon on the tray and no matter how many times i try to reconnect through some windows connect manager OR press Fn + F12 as it says to do.........no more friggin wifi network after the 15 or so minutes.

To be honest, I am yet to really work on it so offhand I can't say if its going off even if i were to work on it for an hour or two for I haven't done that yet.
    I turn it on, work with it a few mins and then eventually it goes to sleep and when I try to wake it up this is when I discover its offline and can't go back on unless I reboot the computer.

So, my question, seeing as I can't seem to get the network to actually work once I wake it up out of its sleep, which it does around the 15 min mark, IS THIS BECAUSE IT IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE APPLE AIPORT EXTREME BASE STATION perhaps???

I can't imagine why it would be but before I start looking for a Windows PC forum, I had to ask this here as I might be asked that there.

And IF on the rare chance there is a mac user here familiar with this problem, do please feel free to let me know what it might be as this is my first experience with Windows in a long time.......and so far I do remember why I don't like it but I do need to get it working

TIA

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What firmware is it running and what security standard is the AirPort using?

3. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Apples WIFI stations dont care if its a osx,linux or windows box.

The thing I would think about is: Did the Samsung laptop stay on wifi when it was running windows 8?

Because you installed Windows 7 on it and it came with Windows 8 there might not be a correct driver for the wifi chipset on the samsung causing it to loose the connection

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A long time ago I've seen issues with difference base stations having issue issues with adapters from other manufacturers, but I think those issues are long in the past.

Besides the adapter is OS agnostic. If you're doing to have issues in Windows, odds are you have issues in OS X as well if it's the same computer.

To be fair, I think the issues you have reside on a faulty wireless card or perhaps incorrectly connector antennas in your Samsung laptop.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I had an AEB, it worked fine regardless of what I was using, PC, Mac, Android phone, etc. Once you set it up, it works w/o any issues imo

6. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Judging from your answers, I now believe, as I first did that it should be able to handle windows as well ( as it does macs) so i won't look at t he airport but at the drivers next for windows

i knew there was a reason i preferred macs ;)

Networking is my weakest area.
    I am not sure how to tell what the security standard is unless you mean the
    WPA (etc) and all that kind of stuff?

And are you referring to the firmware of the Airport or something else?

I will also look at all suggestions listed above....

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should be using WPA2 Personal security.

8. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

You are right. Thats what its on. Good to know as I did not know it SHOULD be that one and did wonder myself once why it was so I see I have some reading to do in order to understand why that is.

As for the original question, I believe I have sorted it out.

I set this laptop up about 2 months ago with every intention of fully setting it up. But I never got to it for anytime I needed anything done, naturally I went for the mac.
    So I never had changed the default power options and I took a good look at it all last night for the first time and that jumped out at me as possibly being the problem.
    The default one had it going to sleep after 5 minutes and I now believe THAT was what was kicking it offline, although why I could not get it back online at that point I haven't yet looked at but suffice to say I left it on 2 hours last night without going to sleep and it stayed on the whole time. I just let screen savers run instead of putting it to sleep.
    (assuming that is ok to do)

In any event, I now remember exactly why it was I went to Macs and i am not sure i will ever use this properly.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it is at least stable now with the PC!