Wild idea for a dual-display smartwatch

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by SethBoy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. SethBoy macrumors regular

I think the Gear Fit is a rather interesting design although I think the orientation of the screen is not quite right. However, I also do feel that a horizontal display is advantageous to a vertical display because of how information, particularly text, can be laid out better on a horizontal display.

I think a horizontal display works if it is wrist-down, and you can interact with it while holding your hand wrist facing yourself. On the other side, a more traditional looking circular clock-face can be employed to serve the function of a time-piece. To keep battery consumption low and to have an always-on display, this clock-face can use an e-ink screen.

A photoshop hack-job just to illustrate:

[​IMG]

I suppose dual-displays isn’t really an Apple thing and that it may be technologically difficult to keep the device form factor thin and elegant, but I think it still makes some sense by offering a horizontal display, an always-on watch-face when the device is not being actively used, and also a more traditional looking watch that serves as a fashionable timepiece not too different from existing watches.

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I like your thinking here as it a nice way to expand function with respect to form. This is of course backwards for Apple that puts form before function in many ways. Hopefully, your idea is also on the minds of some makers and we can all enjoy the benefit of good thinking. Kudos.

3. ASGR macrumors newbie

Nice idea.

Or... Why not have a flexible screen that goes all the way around!

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't like the idea that now I can possible break 2 screens.:eek:

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why not build all the functionality into a mobile phone so you only need one device-

oh wait ;)

Still not convinced about these apparent smart watches.

7. kdarling, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

OP, apparently others have similar ideas of a dual display, but not quite the way you envisioned.

The Finnish mobile design group Creoir came up with the following Android based design that they're working on... it has a regular watch combined with a touchscreen display below it.

2014_creoir_ibis2.png

A very simple and clever way to make sure the time is always available, and not dependent on the smart part's battery. Check out the video below:

8. 24hrpizza macrumors member

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Good lord that's hideous. :eek: I can't wait until this smartwatch fad/craze whatever you want to call it gets put 6 feet under.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

To each their own. I thought it looked a lot more like regular jewelry than any smartwatch design we've seen so far.

11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

The OP's idea of using e-ink screens is one that is, in my opinion, way underutilized. I work outdoors and would love to have an e-ink iPad. Something that I can actually read and use in full sun.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I guess that's the problem for me. I'm an unusual female not much into jewelry. :)