Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
I think the Gear Fit is a rather interesting design although I think the orientation of the screen is not quite right. However, I also do feel that a horizontal display is advantageous to a vertical display because of how information, particularly text, can be laid out better on a horizontal display.

I think a horizontal display works if it is wrist-down, and you can interact with it while holding your hand wrist facing yourself. On the other side, a more traditional looking circular clock-face can be employed to serve the function of a time-piece. To keep battery consumption low and to have an always-on display, this clock-face can use an e-ink screen.

A photoshop hack-job just to illustrate:

7MlW8ES.jpg

I suppose dual-displays isn’t really an Apple thing and that it may be technologically difficult to keep the device form factor thin and elegant, but I think it still makes some sense by offering a horizontal display, an always-on watch-face when the device is not being actively used, and also a more traditional looking watch that serves as a fashionable timepiece not too different from existing watches.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I like your thinking here as it a nice way to expand function with respect to form. This is of course backwards for Apple that puts form before function in many ways. Hopefully, your idea is also on the minds of some makers and we can all enjoy the benefit of good thinking. Kudos.

ASGR

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Nice idea.

Or... Why not have a flexible screen that goes all the way around!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why not build all the functionality into a mobile phone so you only need one device-

oh wait ;)

Still not convinced about these apparent smart watches.

kdarling

macrumors P6
OP, apparently others have similar ideas of a dual display, but not quite the way you envisioned.

The Finnish mobile design group Creoir came up with the following Android based design that they're working on... it has a regular watch combined with a touchscreen display below it.

2014_creoir_ibis2.png

A very simple and clever way to make sure the time is always available, and not dependent on the smart part's battery. Check out the video below:

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
OP, apparently others have similar ideas of a dual display, but not quite the way you envisioned.

The Finnish mobile design group Creoir came up with the following Android based design that they're working on... it has a regular watch combined with a touchscreen below it.

View attachment 463419

A very simple and clever way to make sure the time is always available, and not dependent on the smart part's battery. Check out the video below:

YouTube: video

Good lord that's hideous. :eek: I can't wait until this smartwatch fad/craze whatever you want to call it gets put 6 feet under.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To each their own. I thought it looked a lot more like regular jewelry than any smartwatch design we've seen so far.

I guess that's the problem for me. I'm an unusual female not much into jewelry. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.