Wild speculation - new size MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnc, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Everyone's aware of the desire for a smaller MBP - but what's the interest in a larger MacBook like?

People wanting bigger than 13" have no Apple option other than the MacBook Pros. I'm not sure if it'd be a good business move for a larger version, as the systems are so close in spec as it is...

Anyway, what sparked this idea was recently looking at the Apple Store, where the MacBook is listed as MacBook 13" which made me think - why specify the size? There's only one size of MacBook. They didn't simlarly list a MacBook Pro 15" or MacBook Pro 17"

Damn this overanalytical mind... MacRumors did it to me!

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Agreed, which is why I think they're unlikely to release a regular MacBook in a larger form factor. That's really too bad. I've long wished they would make a 15" non-pro MacBook with a non-glossy screen option.

3. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

My switch to Mac was on a MacBook, which was also my first laptop. I couldn't justify the $2000 for the Pro but the size is really ideal. My wife has a 15" Dell and I do like the size of it. I was a bit shocked there was no option for a "consumer" 15" model, considering it is the standard in the PC world. But after a couple months on these boards, I see that I am a minority in wanting such a model and I'd have to agree it would not be profitable for Apple.

4. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Personally I think the macbook is already too big, if anything it should be made smaller if anything

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I don't know why Apple never reintroduced a 15" consumer model. For those who say it can't be done - it already was done in the past with the fairly successful 14" (or was it 15"?) iBook. An above poster was correct when they noted 15" is the most popular consumer size. I know that screen size would fit a lot of people better who currently have to settle for 13" because they know a Pro would be overkill. I would actually get one to replace my wife's 15" PowerBook, which has been trying to die since we first got it. She does music production and some Photoshop, but not enough to warrant purchasing a $2400 machine.

I wouldn't be surprized to see Apple unveil a larger Macbook at some point in the next year. With their popularity increasing at it's current rate, Apple needs to give consumers more of a choice.

6. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I've never understood people who want big lap tops, if you want a big screen buy a desk top or at least an external moniter. Lap tops are ment to be portable, making them large totally defeats the point.

7. Loalq macrumors newbie

Second that! 15" I can accept, 17" is a no-go. Never liked the concept of "desktop replacement". IMO 14"-ish is the perfect size.

I have a small 12" lenovo X60s which is great for portability but I have to use the dockstation and a 19" monitor at the office.

8. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

I have a 14" iBook and I think the size is perfect.

Billy Bob, I like a bigger laptop because this is my primary computer. If I needed to take my laptop EVERYWHERE, that might be a different story. But I only bring it places occasionally, and if I need to do something on the computer, I'd just use my Windows Mobile smartphone.

9. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Didn't you raise this in a number of other threads?
    I'll admit that it is interesting, though.
    You'd need to find out if the MacBook has been recently titled this in Europe, or whether it's always been this way - in which case I'd say it doesn't signify anything.

10. jnc thread starter macrumors 68020

jnc

Nope. You could be thinking of someone else

It's a new thing as far as I can tell - I browse the Apple store probably too much to be considered healthy :p I'm just so cautious about putting money down for stuff I hardly ever make a purchase!

11. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

What kills me is that for many years, I wanted a subnotebook from Apple. Now that I no longer want one, they are going to release it. Sometimes Apple is too late to the game. Hopefully it will be so different that it makes the wait worth it. Apple generally delivers when they decide to make a product that has existed forever...they make the best version available.

12. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

I travel to different countries every week and I need a powerful computer + I want it to be my only computer so a big desktop replacement works more than fine for me. Sometimes even 17' is too small. I would prefer 19' with dual or triple HDD and a better GPU ;)

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I dunno, but a 13" would fit perfectly (in size) tween the two in my signature, but a 15" too! 12, 13, 14, 15 (not Pro)...:eek:

14. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

getting rid of the macbook entirely

I see it as just needless to have a differentiation. I think the macbook and macbook pro are going to merge into one category. once the macbooks slim or whatever is out, and the new macbooks are aluminum as well, they will just drop the pro. then, the entire line can get refreshed at once whenever they want.
    A

15. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

The iBooks never were bigger than 14 inches. I think it is just plain time for the rebirth of the 12" powerbook....

16. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

...and at a fairly reasonable price too please!

17. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

With wireless technology today, I think the average consumer is leaning towards portability, even if it just around their own home. Laptops are becoming desktop replacements more often as I wouldn't think too many people have a need for one of each. Personally, I don't want to be confined to a desk and would much rather sit in the comfort of my reclining couch, on the floor, in my bed or at the table in my basement. For those that always have to carry around their laptop, I'm sure they are very happy with 12" or 13" computers. I would consider 15" the standard with 17" or bigger being large.

18. gyumilly macrumors member

I don't mind a big screen, but I can't stand on a heavy weight laptop (5 lbs+), which is why I'm not sold on macbook. Now, if an ultra-portable MB or MBP comes out, hopefully it's under 4lb max.

19. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

This is the only thing that is preventing me from buying the Mac of my dreams. I refuse to downgrade in size from my 15" widescreen Dell to the 13" MB. I have used MBs extensively and it would frustrate me to have that little real estate. The second they produce a 15" MacBook Apple will get my money. I refuse to pay 2K+ for the MBP, I do not need a computer like that and it would be a waste of money.

I honestly don't understand people talking about how 2 or 3 inches in size makes that big of a difference. The footprint is slightly larger and if you have trouble toting around 6 pounds you need to hit the gym HARD. :rolleyes: I spend a lot of time traveling and spend a good amount of time in airports and I have never wished for a smaller laptop.

20. Billy Bob macrumors regular

As I have said before, if you want a big computer buy yourself a disk top of an external moniter. Having a big lap top totally defeats the point of having a lap top, which is suppose to be easily transportable, not big and bulky. Would you carry a giant travel backpack around with you instead of a brief case just because you're strong enough to do so? No of course not, it would be nothing short of idiotic. The macbook is already a little on the heavy and bulky side, I'd like to see it get smaller if anything.

21. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Yes I agree completely. In my view a lap top should be convenient to carry around everywhere with you if you are so inclinded, not be so large that it's a nuisance

22. macjay macrumors 6502

Is the resolution of your 15" Dell greater than the MacBook?

23. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

If you read other people's posts on this thread or in the MBP forums, you'll see people have many different uses for their laptops, and that's ok. You just replied to someone who described their frequent travenling and needs for a larger screen by telling them what laptops are supposed to be (according to you) and that carrying one in anything other than a brief case makes them idiotic.

Please don't be so close-minded or overbearing. Consumers and professionals have a wide scope of needs, and we don't have to compartmentalize those. Many people would attest that Apple's smaller product offering don't meet their specific needs and are forced to buy up/down/settle fairly often.

24. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

My current laptop that is the only computer I use has a screen size of 14.1" I love the size it really is the sweetspot for me.

25. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I admit, the only reason I've shyed away from buying a Macbook is because of the screen size. The integrated gpu doesn't bother me too much, it's just too small a screen. Even a 14" widescreen would be a great improvement (Samsung make a 14" widescreen notebook and the screen is excellent).