Will 1 MobileMe account work for 2 iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Errk!, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

My wife and I each have an iPhone. I sync both on my profile on my Mac.

I am thinking about getting MobileMe mostly for the stolen phone location service. If I got one MobileMe would it work for both phones? Or would I need one for each?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes. If you sync bookmarks and contacts and calendar, they will be copied to each phone so it would almost be better to have two MobileMe accounts. Find my phone would work great on just one account.

3. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that a requirement? Both phones sync the same contacts, one does not sync bookmarks and the other does, and we have several calendars set up in iCal - each syncs to its own set calendars (with some overlap). Would MobileMe require syncing all bookmarks and calendars to both phones?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No, you can have one phone only sync contacts and one sync only bookmarks. It's all selectable on each phone.

If you want calendars on each, each phone would get the complete calendar, you can't pick or choose. That's why it would be better to get two accounts for this reason.

5. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Thanks for the info.

I saw a story elsewhere in this forum where someone had their phone stolen and the thief took the sim card out so it couldn't be traced. S/he didn't have MobileMe. Would MobileMe still be able to find the phone if the sim is removed?

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

From what I have read, all they would have to do is take out the sim and it can't be found.

7. grinny11 macrumors regular

I have google exchange on my phone and my partner has mobileme on his. I have his mobileme enabled on my account only so I can see his calendar and he has my google exchange calendar enabled on his so he can see mine. As a plus, my phone comes up on his find my iphone on his mobileme account. I like the added security I get by enabling mobileme on my phone.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I always find a picture helpful in these situations.

Also, you can sync things by USB in addition to this. When you turn MobileMe Calendars on you get them all. You could turn that off and sync only selected calendars using USB. Or you can sync them all by MobileMe and simply view 1 at a time on the phone's calendar. You don't have to view all the synced calendars.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  9. surfer13 macrumors newbie

10. andy007 macrumors regular

You can send a remote wipe from MobileMe and once they put any sim card in or turn the phone on it will wipe it clean and render it unusable. At least all your data would be safe then.

11. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it still be trackable?

12. michaelgettys macrumors member

I run a business where i have 5 iphones synced with mobile me. All five have contacts, email, bookmarks, and cal synced and it works wonderful. Only downside is that we have about 700 contacts.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Once it is remote-wiped it is no longer trackable.

14. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Might I suggest an Exchange server...?

15. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, but if someone steals my phone and puts another sim in it, would I be able to track it if I didn't remote wipe it?