Will 10.5.6 update contain aluminum MacBook drivers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasJL, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Before I ask my question, I will give a short background in order to preempt any misunderstandings:

The 10.5.5 Leopard Build on new 13" aluminum MacBooks is Build 9F2114. This is different from the most recent 10.5.5 Leopard Build on plastic MacBooks, which is Build 9F33. The 10.5.5 Leopard Build on new aluminum MacBooks contains drivers not found on the latest 10.5.5 Leopard Build on plastic MacBooks.

Users who have tried to swap their plastic MacBook hard drive into a new aluminum MacBook reported that it doesn't work, and they get constant reboots right after the Apple logo.

Inside my current plastic MacBook, I have an aftermarket Hitachi 7200 RPM 200GB hard drive. I want to buy a new aluminum MacBook for myself, but I want to remove the hard drive from my plastic MacBook and just install it into the new aluminum MacBook in order to not go through the hassle of reinstalling my many applications. As of today, this cannot be done because the plastic MacBook and the aluminum Macbook have different builds of 10.5.5.

So, with that background out of the way, here is my question:

Will the upcoming 10.5.6 update--that people with plastic MacBooks will be able to download--contain the aluminum MacBook drivers which are now only to be found in the special build of 10.5.5 that came pre-installed in the aluminum MacBooks?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Almost certainly yes.

3. MysterMac macrumors member

great question, I too am hoping so. Should be pretty imminent now too.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

But, but..... there's nothing better than a fresh install! Freshly updated and installed aplications, pristine preference folder, clean desktop. It makes me tingle just thinking about it!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had that issue as well. I just did an Archive and Install right afterwards and it was fine.

6. MysterMac macrumors member

Success ! I installed the combo update, rebooted then shut down. Took out the hd and put it into the new macbook. Booted, for the first time in my life saw a mac's black boot screen (scary, reminded me of windows !) and success !
    All I've had to do so for was re-calibrate the screen colorwise.

Although it may now be academic as Ive just noticed the top row of keys (brightness/volume etc) on this new macbook are slanted. Looks like its going back, sigh - I just became a statistic.