Will 10.6 improve document import formatting?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by burningbright, Feb 13, 2009.

1. burningbright macrumors regular

Hello, I'm just meandering through the tutorial for Scrivener (which kicks arse btw) and they said that Scrivener (like Pages) has problems importing the formatting of .doc files, and that "this is a limitation of the standard Cocoa OS X text importers." Does anyone know whether Snow Leopard will improve these text importers? This seems to be a large reason why people buy Office rather than iWork, so I'd hope Apple are working on this...

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

While I agree for pages 08, 09 is much better at handling word documents, I have a document that in 08, all these images were laid out in the wrong places, but in 09, they're pretty much in the correct place.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Unless I'm mistaken, Scrivener and Pages use different .doc handlers. Scrivener uses the one that TextEdit does (which is pretty basic and has limited support), whereas Pages uses its own handler (which is much, much better.)

I haven't used Scrivener much, so I could be off base on that, but that's what I seem to recall.

Either way, if it's compatibility you're after you could just use OpenOffice. It's got great support and it's free.

4. burningbright thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for clearing it up! I thought that Pages just used the standard OS importers. Haven't used Pages '09 yet, though read somewhere there were still some problems. If it's better than '08 at least that's something though!