will 10.6 run on older mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supermac96, Nov 15, 2010.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Ok I have a Mac OSX running 10.4.11. If I upgrade to the latest software(10.6) will it cause any problems or erase stuff because my computer is probably about 4 years old or will it run completely fine?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mac OS 10.6 will run on any Intell based Mac. It will not run on a PPC based machine.

3. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

should it run as fast and good as it does on the newest macs?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, Just make sure you have at least 2Gb of ram for the most speed.

5. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

and one more question. since I have a mac osx tiger can I donwload the mac os x snow leopard from apple? here is the link and please tell me if it will run on my mac os x tiger 10.4.11. Thanks a lot!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they'll send you a cd, but yeah it will work. even though it says its just for upgrade ;)

7. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

also, is it ok to jump from 10.4.11 to 10.6? I have heard of some problems in the past with updating stuff non incrementally.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, there is no problem at all.

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

As far as I know, you cannot upgrade the existing Tiger installation. The Snow Leopard DVD for 29 bucks will only allow you to make a fresh installation, that means that you have to format your hard disk before you can install Snow Leopard. Which, in my experience and opinion, is the much better option anyway and it should ALWAYS be done like that.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No.

You have an older computer - a software update will not magically make your older computer "as fast" as a brand-new computer.

It will run at least as well as your current OS, though.

Which exact model do you have? If it is one of the early generation Intel graphics models (original MacBook, education model early Intel iMac, early Intel Mac mini, first generation MacBook Air,) the graphical demands of Snow Leopard will make the interface a little slower than 10.4; but not significantly.

11. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

allright so I talked to an apple person and basically the only way to upgrade a tiger to 10.6 is to purchase this huge mac box set thing for 130 buks. why can't you just buy the singular 29 dollar one? This is one of the times when I really hate apple!!! always trying to milk more $ out of you!!!

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can. Apple wants you to buy the expensive one, but you don't need it.

13. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

I am so confused!!! I just got told by an apple "expert" on there website that the normal 29 dollar one would not work for me and I had to get the box set of I wanted to upgrade!!!!

14. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

and I think I am going to need more ram to be able to run this fast enough so how would I go about buuying it and how much is it?

15. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

the disc in the 29$ one and the boxset one is the same thing. Apple just wants to bundle ilife and iwork with your snow leopard. It is cheaper to get the boxset if you are interested in ilife snd iwork; otherwise buy the 29$ one. You will however need to do a clean install so backup your files.

16. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

what is a clean install?

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

www.macsales.com or www.newegg.com if you are based in North America.

Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

18. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

It is possible to do an upgrade from Tiger using the Snow Leopard disk, if you wish. But I agree that it's preferable, if you can, to do a clean install.

19. dmmac macrumors newbie

I've tried twice today, but it seems as though only part of Snow Leopard installs. Though Spaces appears in my system preferences, I have no way of activating it. There is no option for Time Machine. My dock still looks like the tiger dock, I have no downloads folder, nor stacks. Yet, when I check 'about this mac', it shows that I am running 10.6.3.

I have had the same result both times. It appears that I will need to do a clean install... I have a complete backup of my iMac on an external drive from before my attempt to upgrade to Snow Leopard. My question is this: if I do a clean install, will I be able to bring over all of my files from my backup?

I understand that I'll need to reinstall iLife from the discs that came with my iMac, but what about other software that I have? Do I need to create a dmg for each application and if so, can I use those to reinstall software onto my iMac?

Also, my external drive is USB 2.0, and I understand you cannot boot a mac using one, you need a firewire drive. If something goes horribly wrong, can I get tiger back on my machine using discs that came with it?

Thanks for any help!