Will 10.9 be there after reformatting old MBP?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by splproductions, Apr 29, 2014.

1. splproductions macrumors newbie

I'm selling my 2010 MBP to my brother. If I reformat the hard drive, will it boot up with Snow Leopard (or whatever OS it originally shipped with)? I don't want to give him an old OS, and I also don't want to go through the drama of having to upgrade sequentially all the way up to Mavericks (which is what it is running right now).

Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

If you reformat the drive, it won't have anything on it until you reinstall something.

3. splproductions thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - so I would have to put in my OS install disc - whichever the latest one I have is...

And then from that point, I would have to go through the App Store and reinstall all the way up to 10.9... And Lion and Mountain Lion aren't on the App Store, so I'd have to order discs... :(

----------

So here's my next question...

Could I just sign out of my iTunes and iCloud account, delete my stuff, and then give him the laptop? Will that screw anything up since I got Mavericks on the App Store, or would it prevent him from upgrading to the next OS when it comes out?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

None of this is an issue. If you want to format the Mac and reinstall Snow Leopard, you can do that and just quit when it's done and asks you to set up a new account. That will leave the Mac in a new state for your brother where he can set everything up as he'd like. Then it's just a matter of updating that to 10.6.8 through Software Update and then he can download Mavericks from the App Store. The interim versions of OS X aren't needed.
    Alternatively, you can just sign your accounts out, make a new account for your brother, and then delete yours. That obviously does leave your old applications behind and some configuration files, but that may not be an issue for you.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No problem... just command-r boot to the recovery partition. From there start Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD partition only. Now quit Disk Util and reinstall Mavericks. You will be asked for your AppleID to install Mavericks. When the install is done and it goes to the setup screen just power down and give the Mac to your brother.

When he gets it and sets up an account for himself tell him to login to the App Store with his own AppleID and "purchase" Mavericks and do not download it. This way if he ever needs to reinstall Mavs he can do it with his own AppleID.

6. berkotech macrumors newbie

osx 10.9 mavericks

mavericks upgrade is allowed to be installed on any mac you use so you can leave it on your mac for your brother to use, just delete your profile and create a new one for him