Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
Will the MacBook Pro 13" ever get a dedicated GPU?
I love my 13" for portability and travel, but I would love the GPU. Not a deal breaker, but would love one.

Any rumors on this?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Given a restricted thermal budget, iGPUs already offer very competitive performance compared to dGPUs. For compact machines, integrated platforms that pack CPU/GPU/VRAM as close together as possible is definitely the way to go. For instance next year's iGPUs will offer performance close to that of 555X/560X in the current 15" MBP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would reckon... no.
You want a dedicated GPU? Then "pay up" for the 15" MBP.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The 13" as it exists today? No, the size of the machine heavily limits thermals, there simply isn't the thermal headroom in the existing cooling system to allow it. I do believe we might see a future 14" MBP (a successor to the current 28W model) with one however, as many 13" class Windows machines (being slightly bulkier) have started offering dGPUs.

Having said this, Intel's new gen 11 graphics, which are closer to a low end dedicated GPU than the Intel iGPUs they replace, are a bit of a wildcard, as are the custom designed iGPUs Apple use on their AX iPad chips.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
as many 13" class Windows machines (being slightly bulkier) have started offering dGPUs.

The Razer Blade Stealth 13 is virtually identical in size and weight to the 13" Macbook Pro. It includes a GTX 1650 with 4GB of RAM. Their 13" ultrabook has a GPU faster than anything Apple puts into it's notebooks. The Vega 20 only barely comes close in some areas. Point is, the base GPU on the 15" is so weak that if Apple were to put a GPU in the 13", it'd likely be an insignificant upgrade over what Intel already provides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.