Will 13" MBP with SSD allow instant-on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donklaus, Mar 6, 2011.

1. donklaus macrumors member

Given the small price differential, I'm considering adding a 13" MBP to my stable as my main carry-with-me computer. Will configuring it with SSD give it instant-on capability, like the MPA? Instant-on, plus the small form factor, are the only reasons I'm also considering a MBA spec'ed out to the max.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you use the SLEEP function of Macs, you get an INSTANT-ON already, regardless of HDD or SSD.
    But buying an SSD will not give you the INSTANT-ON feature the MBAs have.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Nope. That is only currently available at this time built into the hardware for use right now on the Macbook Air.

4. jpjandrade macrumors member

As far as I know, "instant on" is marketing speak to explain to unaware costumers of one of the benefits of having the insane speeds of SSDs.

I would think a MBP with a SSD would be the same.

5. simsaladimbamba

You would think that, but an SSD does not provide instant on boot times, an SSD still needs over ten (10) seconds to boot the OS.
    Apple has employed its wisdom and created some hybrid between sleep and having the computer switched off. Maybe some of the existing articles about it can help.

6. noripwr macrumors member

if you look at the internals of the mba, it doesn't even use a traditional ssd that you could nab off newegg.

7. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Good answer. And besides, only people with severe OCD have a need to power down their Macs. Also 10 second boot isn't really going to kill you if you have to reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jpjandrade macrumors member

But the "instant on" claimed on the MacBook Airs are not, in fact, instant. What they mean in that is that it turns on from sleep as instant as an iPad, but the boot times on a MBA still are not instant (in fact, nor are they on an iPad, the iPad takes a long time to turn on!).

9. adnoh, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

You may have to tweak hibernation a little bit but I see why not.

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

Or you know, use bootcamp.

11. Tapiwa macrumors member

Exactly, the MBA certainly doesn't boot instantly :)

And yes a MBP 13" with SSD will wake from sleep instantly. Everything is already right there before you even have time to pull up the lid all the way...

12. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Whats so special about instant on? My 2010 Macbook pro 13 has instant on when I close the lid and open it from sleep...