Will 16 GB cut it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jakja83, Sep 29, 2014.

1. jakja83 macrumors member

So, even though expensive I ordered a iPhone 6 16 GB and it is currently en-route to my mailbox, but then I saw that the 64 GB model wasn't that much more expensive and I plan to keep this phone for some years. Should I get the 64 GB model instead or will 16 be enough for average usage, photos, your occational video-clip and so on?

2. jakja83 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I will just have to acquire some patience until the 64 model is in-stock once more.

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

pre-order during the restock period, just check every night while they're scanning. You just need to check your area out and see when things become available. There was a big thread discussion if you search around.

And yes, you'll probably want the 64GB if you use any videos or photos or music. It will eventually fill up.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16gb works fine with me.
    I still got about 6GB free space.

5. Zxxv Suspended

fixed it for ya :D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    64gb would be a waste of space and money for me.

7. Zxxv Suspended

I got by with 32gb but when apple changed my price point and gave me 64gb I was happy. I tried 16gb on iPad mini. Couldn't do it. Had to really think about what I had on there. So iPhone even worse because I take photos, some videos but mostly photos. They build up. Music I keep some not much. 32gb was good. 64gb is breathing room

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    I try to copy over my videos and pictures to my computer and not keep leaving all of them pile up on the phone storage.

9. Zxxv Suspended

It can get a total mess I agree. Sometimes I think just delete the lot. The whole digital lot. Emails , everything, on every device and return to nothing. Then I chicken out :D

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I had 3 iPhone's in a row with 16GB. Every time, I would have to keep managing the space - deleting videos, being careful about what apps I had, loading videos to watch on flights only before each trip, having to delete apps to make space.

Finally, I am plenty able to afford the larger capacity phone. I went with the 64GB 6, and am so glad that I did.

My wife and I got married a few months back, and we now travel quite a bit. The extra space is great for being able to take lots of photos and videos, store plenty of apps, etc.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb + DropBox = Sorted.

Just over 8GB left available on the phone.

12. Laryl macrumors regular

Laryl

I'm in the decision mode too, ordered a 16 and they won't let me change my order to a 64 until mine comes and then they get some. But, that being said.. if you guys have barely got the phones and only have 8 left NOW.. what about a year from now when the apps get bigger and better and you want more new things you haven't even thought about?

I have decided to keep the 16, then no, then yes, then no. I'm now leaning on better safe than sorry especially since the thrill is gone and I may not even get mine for a couple more weeks with this dang backorder mess.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Having been in a similar boat, I strongly suggest getting the 64GB. I returned by 16GB for the 64GB and am very happy that I did.

14. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

15. Laryl macrumors regular

Laryl

I'm pretty sure that's what I will do but I'll have a sad face on for even longer since I'm guessing I'll get the 16 I preordered on the 12th long before my store has any 64's in stock to trade me. :(

----------

Money is an issue for me, so I can't just comfortably make the decision. That being said, I wonder too if I really "need" more than 16 when I haven't filled close to it on the current 4S. I take photos and am anxious to try the video stuff out. But if I run out of room because of photography stuff, I can download to the computer and just keep the favorite favorites.. I don't do ANY music, and I don't play big games. I watch netflix but don't see a need to store movies on my phone.
    I just don't want to run short if the apps start taking more and more. My granddaughter got a 6 and before she did anything to it I asked her to check.. she said she had 11point something left, meaning the ios was eating up almost 5 right off the bat?!? that worries me, even though I know images and videos don't take up huge amounts of room right? I'm not a tech person.. just a 62 yr old grandma who loves computers and photography :)

16. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Agreed ^

I have the 32GB iPhone 5 and I will be getting the 64 GB 6. I can't update software or even sync sometimes because I am near and sometimes over capacity. I can handle deleting pics off my phone once they are on my Macbook, but the Documents and Data portion is taking up 9GB! I think it's mostly text messages with pics? That is such a pain to go through and it is so darn tedious to go through them to delete pics. :rolleyes:

----------

Just curious, how much more is the 64 GB that you are looking at then the 16 GB? I thought they were all $100 more then the other with the 16 GB being the least expensive, the 64 GB is $100 more and the 128 GB $100 more then the 64. Am I missing something?

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I've had 16GB versions from the iPhone 4 onwards.

Take into account on a 16GB model I get just under 13GB User available memory. So I've effectively used around 5GB. I don't download heavily from the App Store. I'm not a gamer either. I've never filled up the memory and I don't micro manage it either.

My music is in playlists that I switch around when I need to.

Dropbox holds my pictures and documents.

All I'm saying is that this it what works for me and won't necessary for you.

18. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

16GB should of been dropped this time around.

Its obsolete especially considerings its really 12GB. well its apple, they're gonna milk it as much as possible.

people who get by on a 16GB is most definitely a minority, 16GB should be regulated to the free iPhones.

8GB iPhone 5C is complete utter garbage, you only have 4 GB free? ridiculous.

average users aren't going to get by, I'm sure 16GB phones will drop in sales. If not all you 16GB users are just prolonging it. stop buy the 16GB so apple will drop it and have the base model have 32 GB

19. jakja83 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I have the 16 GB laying in the post office, but have to return it before ordering 64 GB which is not in stock. Maybe I should just cancel the whole order. I feel the jump from 16 - 64 GB is a way of sucking more money out of customers as many probably will see things the same way as I do. I can afford it, no problem, but it is a crazy amount of money to spend on a phone. I live in Europe and a 64 GB iP 6 will set me back 950$ on a 12 month contract.

20. Zxxv Suspended

You see it as a way of sucking more money out of customers. Why not see it as rewarding loyalty to the people who always bought 32gb

Always another point of view ;)

21. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

it only costs apple about $200 dollars to manufacture an iPhone

and upgrading storage probably only costs 5-10 dollars for them