Will 16GB iPhone upgrade require contract renewal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mas90guru, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mas90guru macrumors member

Does an upgrade to the 16GB iPhone require a contract extension?

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Having seen this thread I wouldn't be too sure of that… :(

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Anyone know the answer to this? (particularly interested in AT&T)

5. rayward macrumors 68000

This is really just a hypothetical question. If they require a new contract, so what? You're, at most, 7 months into your current 2 year deal, and AT&T's exclusive rights don't run out for over 4 years. If you're not going to hack your iPhone (which, if you are, means that the question is irrelevant to you), you're stuck with AT&T for another two contracts' worth, at least.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Just a guess, but I would think so.

I mean, it is a new phone...

7. cmaier macrumors G3

And yet another thread says you just pull your sim out of the old phone and put it in the new phone, and reactivate in itunes without a new contract.

That makes sense to me; that's what happens when you are given a loaner or replacement phone.

8. pro0 macrumors newbie

Do I need to sign a new contract for the 16GB iPhone? No. You can yank your SIM card from your old phone and put it in the 16GB iPhone, activate it for free through iTunes and start using it with your current contract. It’s just like replacing a broken iPhone. Even if you don’t have your old SIM card, you can activate with a new SIM card and your account information will simply be updated. ---cnet

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Remember, you are only contractually bound to have a minimum voice service of $39/mo for 2 years. You are not bound by the phone as it is not subsidized.

10. Aries326 macrumors 6502

It shouldn't need a contract extension. It's not like they subsidized either of the the units. I know with T-Mobile, if I upgraded to a new phone (subsidized by them) they would lengthen the contract for another two years.

11. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I talked to an apple person via the online store chat and they told me that removing the SIM voids the warranty.... I told her she was mistaken because iTunes told me specifically to use the SIM from my old phone in my iphone (corporate).

just thought i'd share.