Will 1tb make my Macbook run slower?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

Basicly what the titly says, if yes, will it be much?

Edit: and why is the amount of gb where the disc has to be?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It shouldn't? It depends on what you are using now. Obviously if you go from a SSD to a 5400RPM 1TB hard drive, it's going to be slower.

3. brendu macrumors 68020

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

...thats what I want to know

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Seriously, if you google exactly what you just posted you will get your answer.

6. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there's no 1TB laptop drives out yet...but I could be wrong. Just check over at macsales.com.

For a spinning drive (ie a conventional, not SSD), a bigger drive will always make your computer feel faster, and almost always significantly faster. The drive won't be as full, and since the data will mostly be sitting at the outer edge of the spinning HD (assuming you don't go and put 1 TB of data on there), which moves faster, and it's more condensed, everything is faster. It's pretty much a linear relationship as you fill up a HD: the more you put on it, the slower it goes. My general rule of thumb is to never fill a HD more than 50% full, unless it's a backup drive that I'm not accessing data on all the time.

7. brendu macrumors 68020

lol, i googled "1tb 2.5" hard drive" and got nothing that made it appear you could buy one now.

your link tells me they make them, but now im still searching for where to BUY one.....

EDIT: also the WD drive you speak of will not fit inside a macbook.

8. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

okay thanks guys, just one more question, where can i get a 500 gb internal hdd then (; decided that 500 is totally fine

9. brendu macrumors 68020

10. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

the do make a 1tb laptop drive its a western digital it is 5200 rpm and it is also 12.5 mm so it wont fit in a lot of computers.
    store.westerndigital.com

12. Chozo macrumors member

I love that! I despise people who say "Google it!" It's honestly a dumb answer and the amount of time and space you said to "Google it" you could have given an appropriate and satisfying answer.

I copied your post exactly and found nothing on the front page that shows me that you can buy any. And if people say to look beyond the front page, how about they just give an answer or just not contribute to the thread at all?

13. jbuk macrumors regular

The biggest (capacity-wise) hard drive that will fit in a MacBook available right now is a 640GB unit from Western Digital, in their Scorpio Blue range. You can find it on their site, and it is 9.5mm high so it is the correct size for a WhiteBook.

14. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Here's one: At Dell
    and Here. Notice the post about WD going out of production.

Needless to say, they're backordered at both sites.

The 12.5mm height will only work in an Aluminum MacBook. No plastic model can accommodate larger than 9.5mm.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You post doesn't ask where to buy them. You simply asked if they exist. You got your answer and now you want some extra information, which another forum member has graciously answered.

In the time the people ask such a basic question, they could've googled it. This forum is helpful, and in this case I'm helping to you to help yourself (@brendu). It takes much more effort to start a thread or make a post than to google something.

16. zbasarab macrumors member

I completely agree. People unfortunately treat macrumors members as a live search engine when they can save so much time and energy by just using google.

i quite honestly find people annoying when they ask ridiculous questions :mad:

17. Chozo macrumors member

You guys are totally right. I mean why ask questions on forums? I mean why have forums at all when Google exists, right?

18. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I was waiting for someone to post this.

There are questions that can be answered with a simple google search that take mere seconds, there are some like Is it possible to make a better hardware iPhone, with exclusive features? or Anyone else feel tired after the time change? that foster discussion. Because this is a forum, a place where people share their knowledge not a crowd-sourced googling machine. If you did google something with unsatisfactory results, just say it, we want to know you put in the effort before making us go further than you.

And finally. What is google without people contributing to forums just like this one?

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, it shouldn't unless your going from a SSD to a 1TB HDD.

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Not sure what you mean by the second part.

I haven't been able to find any reviews of the 1TB WD drive so we can't say if it'll be slower. But the drive does spin at 5200rpm whereas most drives are 5400rpm. That said, it is a higher density and will probably make up for that slight reduction in spindle speed.

Also, we have no idea what you have atm, so we can't compare.

21. cosmonaut23 macrumors member

I Completely agree. Cars are useful, but you you wouldn't use one to pop to your next door neighbour's house if it was a few yards away. Or, to improve on the analogy, you wouldn't get call someone else up to get a lift there.

Suggesting that someone "google it" is just a polite way of pointing out that the answer is available with very little effort. This forum is an amazing resource for information that is that little bit harder to find. And all kinds of other stuff. We should look after it.

22. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, all the questions asked on this forum can be found using google; if people didn't ask questions, we wouldn't need this forum. I enjoy to answer questions, if someone is too busy to answer questions, they should find a new hobby.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much my sentiments, minus the sarcasm.

24. Aadhil macrumors regular

Why do you need an internal hard drive? A 1TB external HD should work pretty well.