Will 2.0 break jailbroken phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisN, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well now that 2.0 is coming in less than 2 weeks I'm wondering if the update will break jailbroken phones, and by break i mean brick? Well right now i'm restoring my phone because I don't want it to break while I will be away at the beach.

Also, do you think it will erase all the content on the phone when you update to 2.0?

ChrisN

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Knowing apple probably... why change policy now you know!

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I think I've read with the betas the entire phone is wiped but then you restore all your settings from the latest backup. This may be just for testing purposes though so that all phones running the beta software start with a clean slate... the final version may very well not wipe out any data at all, we'll just have to wait and see.

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have lost information during some of the early upgrades ... now, I make sure I backup everything before hand. Especially photos (Which iTunes don't seem to backup automagically)

5. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I hate opening iPhoto to import photos i wish you could do that in itunes too.

ChrisN

6. angel1286 macrumors member

same here i have lost some contacts that i added while jailbroken when upgrading to a new firmware but it won't brick your phone.

7. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I wouldn't be so quick to say it won't brick your phone. Apple has already had updates that promised this, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it happened again.

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

Just to clear something up, the jailbreak has never bricked any iPhones (and if it has, it's been very very rare). The jailbreak is simply a software hack and if it goes bad, you can very easily restore it back to the factory defaults. What HAS bricked iPhones, however, has been the unlocking process to allow use on carriers other than AT&T.

Updating to 2.0 will, I'm sure, put your iPhone back in jail, for lack of a better phrase. With the introduction of the App Store, most people won't care to have their phone jailbroken anyway, so just to make sure you don't encounter any hiccups, just restore it to the defaults and then do the 2.0 update. Then, when that version of the software has been hacked, you can jailbreak it again if you wish.

9. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

If you jail break your iphone... it unlocks it right?

What if Idon't want to unlock my phone? Only add more apps can this be done?

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Jailbreaking doesn't unlcok your phone. Only unlocking unlocks your phone. Jailbreaking just allows for your to install third party software.

11. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

good, becasue I seriosully don't want to brick my phone.

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It could still happen. But much less likely. I would wait for the app store, unless you want specific things that you know won't be on the app store. I have found that jailbreaking made my phone very unstable, everything crashed and it just was not worth the apps, which were very crude (for the most part).

13. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

I understand :).

So, I shouldn't jail brake the phone then?

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

What kind of apps are you looking for? A lot of stuff will be coming to the app store on july 11 that will be much better than what you find on jailbroken phones. http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html

That's a link that you might be interested in looking at. And no, the app store will not be just for the iPhone 3G.

15. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Uh, won't it cost of the app store? I don't mind paying.. Just the fact if it's over cost.

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Developrs can pick their own price. Most games by large companies will cost money, but not too much. Super Monkey Ball is selling for either $5 or $10 ( I dont remember which, maybe somoene can help me out there). Besides that I have a feeling that there will be many free aps.

17. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I was talking about the software update that first brought in the signed binaries that bricked some phones that weren't rolled back to a previous version before upgrading.

18. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You don't need to use iPhoto. I use Image Capture.app to get my pictures off the phone, much easier.