Will 2011 Mac Mini be ok for Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gaspardd10, Sep 3, 2014.

1. gaspardd10 macrumors newbie

So I'm getting back into video. I used to do some light work on a 2010 15" macbook pro, but I sold it a couple of years ago and stopped. I just bought a mac mini for a price I couldn't refuse. It's a base mid 2011 mac mini 2.3 i5 model. I was thinking about just adding an SSD (Samsung 840 Evo) and 16Gb of ram. I'm going to be using 2 Canon 70D DSLRs for most of my footage. It's mainly going to be weddings for my friends that are going to get married soon. So it's nothing spectacular. So will the mac mini be able to handle this? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It should handle it but won't render fast. The shortcoming will really be the processor. The added RAM or SSD won't really help. An i7 mini would be much better for this. But since your use is just a one-off just use the mini as-is and save the money.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah it won't be very fast. I don't think you'll be too pleased with the rendering times if you have a tight deadline. That said, it works.

Anyways I use mine in cluster mode with the rest of my Macs, does its job well.

4. Captpegleg macrumors member

What is cluster mode? I got a grip on cluster .... just not sure about cluster mode
    I'm thinking about adding a mini to my own cluster ....
    thanks

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

If your Mini meets these, it is good to go.

Minimum System Requirements

OS X v10.9.2 or later
    4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K)
    OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
    256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K)
    3.5GB of disk space

No doubt higher specs would make it go better, but speed is not likely to be an issue for an occasional user, unless of impatient disposition.