Will 2015 MBP retina SSD be upgradeable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neonstingray, Mar 16, 2015.

1. neonstingray macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find it on this forum. I realize the new 2015 MBPr isn't "supposed" to be user-upgradeable, but will we see kits from places like OWC allowing us to upgrade the SSD, or should I just fork over the money for the 256g drive now when I order the laptop? I've never liked how much apple charges for storage and memory upgrades so in the past I've also just done them myself right after buying the laptop.

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not likely, no.

3. webs1 macrumors member

The memory is soldered in so it won't be upgradable. The SSD is upgradable, but right now there aren't any drives available at retail that will work. You'd need to buy one from ebay that came out of another apple product.

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I doubt OWC will have any 3rd-party SSDs for newer MacBook Pros for at least a year.. Apple uses a proprietary version of PCIe to connect the SSDs, so it will take some time before either Apple license that to people like OWC, or OWC reverse engineer it.

So, clearly I would fork over the money and get the 256GB SSD option.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While the SSDs are replaceable, and you can find SSDs for sale on eBay. You cannot go out and buy brand new SSDs, and I don't think that will change for the 2015 rMBPs

6. neonstingray thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the quick replies. iFixit looks to have drives for the 2014's but at those prices I'm better off just paying for the upgrade from the start. Thanks again!