Will 2015 rMPB run hot with 4K or large or two external displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mackist, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Mackist macrumors member

I have just switched my 2014 MBA for a 2.2GHz/8GB 2015 MBA to use with my new 40" Philips 4K monitor (mini/DP), and it runs rather warm (60 Celsius/6000rpm - monitored with smcFanControl) when the monitor is plugged in and a few apps open.
    Annoying, and one imagines harmful to the computer over long term (is it?).

So I'm thinking of switching to rMBP.
    I can't afford the fastest processor/16GB.
    Does anybody have experience running something like my monitor with the cheapest 13" rMBP (2.7Ghz/8GB)? Does it also run hot?

I'd hate to change computer yet again, nevermind having to daily lug a 13" instead of 11" around, only to have the same problem.

Thank you,
    M

2. kevmodrome macrumors newbie

Mine (13" 2015) runs somewhat warm when connected to a 4k monitor. No fan noise though.

3. Mackist thread starter macrumors member

Right, that would be expected. May I ask how big your monitor is, and what cable you use (ie, is it 4K@60Hz)?

4. kevmodrome macrumors newbie

Running a Dell 2415Q using Displayport, 4k@60hz. You should know that it lags quite a bit though (window animations and such). Hopefully this is rectified in the next release of OS X.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The computer is programmed to take care of itself temperature wise. You're not harming it. 60C is barely warm for mobile silicon chips. These puppies will reach 105C before throttling to prevent damage.

I suggest you promptly uninstall any monitoring apps, all they'll do is make you obsess over things you have no control over and are not in any way detrimental to your computer. These apps seem to feed the OCD-ness of forum users on MacRumors to no end.

In short: your computer's fine as it is, and you should not worry about it. If you're getting by with the power of an 11" MBA, you wouldn't really notice the performance upgrade anyway.

6. Mackist, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

Mackist thread starter macrumors member

hahaha thank you for these words of wisdom.
    i really really love the portability of an 11". i haven't put premiere through the paces yet; if it works without problems, i'll stick with the air and upgrade when a new one comes out next year.

@kevmodrome
    60Hz is no 120, but i don't have noticeable lag. maybe with a game, but normal computing is pretty much like the laptop screen. No chance you're at 30hz?

all the best,
    m

7. kevmodrome macrumors newbie

No, it's running at 60hz. Here, check out the video I made a couple of weeks ago: