Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

end4ee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Hi there, I'm considering upgrading from Macbook Air 2015 and from what i've read and looked at benchmarks the 2016 MB performs a little bit better than AIR. However I'm a heavy tasker, using multiple tabs in chrome as well as Kiwi for Gmail my CPU is at around 80c and 86% ram used on daily basis and was wondering if I will see a downgrade from using m5 on 2016 MB or will it perform no problem and won't throttle / downclock etc. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
Hi there, I'm considering upgrading from Macbook Air 2015 and from what i've read and looked at benchmarks the 2016 MB performs a little bit better than AIR. However I'm a heavy tasker, using multiple tabs in chrome as well as Kiwi for Gmail my CPU is at around 80c and 86% ram used on daily basis and was wondering if I will see a downgrade from using m5 on 2016 MB or will it perform no problem and won't throttle / downclock etc. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Does your Air have an i5 or i7 processor? 4 or 8GB or RAM?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I think it will throttle; certainly, there's a much higher chance it would as there's no fan and you're already stressing your existing machine a lot.

Though I can't find any definitive documentation about TJ. max between the two CPUs, your existing i5 is more powerful than the m5 in the MacBook. The higher benchmark results you're citing are likely due to the faster RAM/faster Flash in the rMB.

Furthermore as a lot of your usage is very CPU heavy and the main bottleneck of the rMB is the CPU, I would wager real-world performance would actually be worse compared to your current 2015.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I think it will throttle; certainly, there's a much higher chance it would as there's no fan and you're already stressing your existing machine a lot.

Though I can't find any definitive documentation about TJ. max between the two CPUs, your existing i5 is more powerful than the m5 in the MacBook. The higher benchmark results you're citing are likely due to the faster RAM/faster Flash in the rMB.

Furthermore as a lot of your usage is very CPU heavy and the main bottleneck of the rMB is the CPU, I would wager real-world performance would actually be worse compared to your current 2015.
Calling chrome and an email client very CPU heavy are heavy words. What's than rendering, games and other real heavy tasks?;)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Calling chrome and an email client very CPU heavy are heavy words. What's than rendering, games and other real heavy tasks?;)

Well as the OP's CPU is currently running at 80C and RAM usage is very high, that would indicate the CPU is being hit quite heavily. Although you could say rendering is heavy usage, similarly you have server farms or folding which are also heavy usage. AAA gaming at 120FPS is 'light' usage compared to that, though nobody would class AAA gaming as light.

As such, heavy or light tasks need to be considered against the hardware it's running on, otherwise we'd be saying that all usage is light usage compared to supercomputer calculations, and nobody's answer would be helpful at all.

In the context of the m5 and for the OP's usage, then it is comparatively CPU heavy, in that the CPU bottleneck will be reached and the CPU will throttle. That was the OP's question, after all. ;)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Maybe OP is just in hot climate:)

but really, chrome and mail would run on an old android phone just fine. What are you doing in the browser tabs? Only flash games and vids?

I for myself have the M5 MB and there is no slowdown with 20 or more safari tabs, mail, Gimp, photos and win10 running in Parallels.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Have a look at this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-about-cpu-throttling.2017759/#post-23986887

High CPU is not a problem.....high GPU maybe ...I haven't seen it but that is not what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.