Will 27.5", 16/10 HannsPree screen run full screen attached to Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I am going to buy an inexpensive large screen, 1900X1200 res. to attach first to my Macbook Air and then to a newly ordered Pro. I just want to know that when you attach a 16/10 format screen will I get a full screen on the attached display or will I end up with either bars or a stretched image.
    I know that the new Macbook Pros are 16/9 but maybe that isn't relevant for the attache device. If it is relevant, then I will perhaps be forced to buy a Samsung 27" 16/9, which I would prefer not to do because I like the extra screen real estate in 16/10.
    A second issue is a 27.5" screen running at 1920X1200 vs 2500X.....
    Thanks for any advice.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The Macbook Pro's are all 16:10. The maximum resolution supported is 2560x1600.

You can have the screens set up so that they display separate things, it's called an extended desktop, so if you drag a window say from your main screen to the left, it'll end up on your other screen.

You would only get stretching or bars if you put it in the other screen mode, called 'mirroring', which is kinda self explanatory.

3. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

So then I will be able to run the large display and it will be a full screen. Do you think the 1920X1200 is ok for daily work, internet, text writing etc?
    Also can both the computer screen and the attached display run two different resolutions simultaneously? That is for example on my Macbook Air it is 1280 X800. Can you maintain that on the Air and run the external display at full resolution?
    thanks for the advice
    I presume that my macbook Air then is 16/10 as well so I could test it with it?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's called the "native resolution" and the MBP will drive that size with the appropriate cable (MDP to whatever is on the display). That's also the native resolution for nearly all 24" displays, so unless you're vision-impaired or want the extra screen size for movies, etc., you can save money by buying a 24".

Yes, in dual display mode (not mirrored mode).

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been working on the 27" Imac, so I really want the screen real estate for using multiple windows. I want this screen because it is 16/10 which gives me a little bit higher vertical space.But will the screen be sufficiently sharp for text and normal usage at this size with this resolution?
    Thanks

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The native resolution of the 27" iMac is 2560x1440. The native resolution of the 27" display you're considering is 1920x1200, the same as most 24" displays. You won't get the resolution from it that you get from the 27" iMac.

7. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand it's not the same resolution as the Imac 27". But my only question is will the resolution look out of focus or dirty, or is it sufficiently crisp for text files, photos, etc? I'm ok on my Macbook Air running 1280 X800. It's not as crisp as, say, the Imac, but it's no problem for me. I'm curious if the resolution on the display I'm thinking of buying will be OK?