Will 2gb of Ram Make a Huge Difference?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Ok guys,

I just bought 2gigs of ram for my 15" PB and another 2gigs of ram for my powermac g5 online through macsales.

Will I notice a huge difference in speed once I do this?

I'll be maxing out the powerbook, and the g5 will have a total of 2.5gigs.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
berkleeboy210 said:
Ok guys,

I just bought 2gigs of ram for my 15" PB and another 2gigs of ram for my powermac g5 online through macsales.

Will I notice a huge difference in speed once I do this?

I'll be maxing out the powerbook, and the g5 will have a total of 2.5gigs.
Hoe big a difference you notice will depend largely on what you are doing. If you're doing heavy graphics/video/audio work, you'll really notice it. If all you're doing is using your Mac as a glorified typewriter, the extra RAM has less of an impact.

Comment

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
me_94501 said:
Hoe big a difference you notice will depend largely on what you are doing. If you're doing heavy graphics/video/audio work, you'll really notice it. If all you're doing is using your Mac as a glorified typewriter, the extra RAM has less of an impact.
i'm using Garageband, Logic Express, final cut express, Finale, and Reason.

Those are just some of the music/video apps i work with. I shouldn't notice any lag w/ that amount of ram should i?

Comment

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Running Final Cut Pro on my PowerBook is painful! I guess it's because I tend to work with super-high resolution video (I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just work on the "bigger is better" principle).

GarageBand runs flawlessly... but that's not really saying much.

I'm yet to max out Logic. I use a lot of software samplers when I'm working on orchestral compositions and I've never noticed any slowdown.

I didn't find that adding RAM made my PowerBook any faster. It did, however, make it seem a lot smoother. But I guess speed is a matter of interpretation.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of the knowledge that I can't add any more RAM :eek:... which, sadly enough, is worth investing in that second GB.

Comment

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
Running Final Cut Pro on my PowerBook is painful! I guess it's because I tend to work with super-high resolution video (I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just work on the "bigger is better" principle).
Wait... you actually have super-high resolution source material, or you just throw DV into HD timelines? :eek: :confused:

Comment

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Cless said:
Wait... you actually have super-high resolution source material, or you just throw DV into HD timelines? :eek: :confused:
A little off topic, Sorry. But once I was doing some editing in iMovie HD, and after i imported my video. It said it was "Pillaring?". It took forever. Can someone clarify on what Pillaring means.

thanks.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.