Will 3.0 allow current iPhone 3Gs to video record?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 6, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Considering that jailbroken iPhones can video record, I don't see why Apple can't do this with current iPhone 3Gs via the 3.0 OS. I know that we most likely have to wait till Monday to find out everything, but do you guys think that Apple will withhold this key feature in current iPhones to make people buy the new iPhone?

2. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

The jailbroken applications that record video do it with absolutely terrible quality video. Just awful, awful video quality. Like 15fps video.

Apple isn't OK with that level of quality, methinks.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I would love for 3.0 to allow video recording for the 3G. Granted, the quality would be pretty poor, maybe 15fps... but you know what? It's better than nothing. And there's been several times I wish I could have video, even if it weren't the greatest.

That being said, Apple probably wouldn't allow it.
    New iPhones only.

4. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

This might be the one feature that makes me buy the new iPhone, especially if you can do video conference. I won't be camping in line though the night before, I'll probably wait a while, and the one thing I hope is that it'll have the same shape since I want to use my same INCASE slider case on it. Hopefully Apple has some new features on Monday.

5. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

From what I understand, the video recorders for the jailbroken iPhones use the preview section of the camera for the video, which would seem to me to be worse than using all the camera hardware.

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Exactly why it won't be available on the 3G ;)
    Also, b/c the quality of video recording on the 3G is not going to be up to their standards. But mostly b/c they are a corporation which tries to make money.

8. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Of course they won't enable video on older phones. But they do seem happy for us to walk around taking crappy grainy pictures that remind me of my phone from 2004.

9. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

I've found that the picture quality in 3.0 betas has improved so much compared to 2.x. I really do hope they allow video recording for the 3G, even if there are limitations.

10. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

It isn't going to happen. The 3G lacks hardware which would allow video recording. Specifically, it needs to be able to compress a video faster than the sensor spits it out. The CPU isn't fast enough to do this.

C.