Will 3 GB ram work with unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by catgo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. catgo macrumors member

My brother has an extra stick of 2gb ddr3 204 pin of ram. Would it be useful to add it to my 2.4 Unibody MB which currently has 2gb. I need it mostly to run vmware fusion since right now every time I run it I get tons of page outs.

Thanks

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

dont you mean 4gb. 2+2=4 maybe im reading what you worte wrong but i dont think so.

i've said it before, you can never have to much RAM

3. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Well as I mentioned, my brother has an extra 2gb stick that would work with my MB, since the macbook has 2 1gb sticks, I would end up with 3GB when I replaced one of the 1gb sticks for the extra 2gb stick, will they work though?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ah i see. yes it would work but you would lose dual channel.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, you can load 3GB of DDR3 RAM into a unibody macbook, you just won't have the "benefit" of dual-channel RAM since they aren't a matched pair; but many benchmarks suggest that the effect of more RAM is greater than the effect of dual-channel with less RAM.

I'd wager you'll never notice the loss of dual channel day-to-day, but will see the increased RAM as a performance boost.

6. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Great news, I hope I don't have any more page outs with the 3GB and VMware fusion.

Thanks guys!

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea man good luck. oh ppl say it doesnt matter but i have read posts that say when upgrading RAM put the larger of the two sticks on the outside.