Will 3G iPad nag me if I don't activate service?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BrentT, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BrentT macrumors member

BrentT

I am migrating from a WiFi-only iPad 1 to an iPad 2. I am considering getting a 3G capable version for the few times I am not in WiFi and for the GPS capability. I only intend to activate the 3G service a few months of the year; mostly when I travel to avoid the high daily WiFi fees at the hotel. Will I be continuously nagged by the iPad to activate the service? If it does nag, is there a way to turn it off?

2. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

Turn cellular data off. I have the first gen 3G iPad and never activated the data.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can turn cellular data off or just stay connected to wifi. Once you try to access Internet without wifi it will ask you if you want to set up service.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I hate to thread hijack, but I'm in a similar situation. For those few times that I might need AT&T 3G service, do I need wifi to activate in? In other words, if I'm in the middle of nowhere, can I activate 3G service without any other wifi connections?

Thanks.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats a really good question, I haven't got a clue. I would assume you need wifi to create your account and register with AT&Ts server.

If anyone knows please enlighten.

6. rayray5884 macrumors newbie

You just activate cellular data in settings and as long as you have service you can activate right from the iPad.

7. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

No you don't. I was in the movie theater today waiting for my movie to start, had not activated 3G yet. I then received an email (on my phone) that required my immediate attention but I was not going to type it out on the phone. I activated 3G right then and there.

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

Thank you very much. That's great to hear activation is so easy and fast.

I wonder if you can do the same for edge service with t-mobile. I'm thinking of getting the cheapeast data plan just for the push notifications, and using wifi for any active use.

9. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

lol, you bring your ipad to the movie theater?

what the... :eek:

10. BForstall macrumors newbie

Well, why not? At my local theater, people show up in flocks before the previews even start. Everyone is talking and using their phones, so it's not exactly rude to use an iPad. Besides, it sure seems like the iPad came in handy in the post you quoted. :cool:

11. ohwell macrumors newbie

Unlocked 3g?

Just to confirm, is the 3G version an unlocked one where I can pop in a data sim card from an oversea carrier and activate accordingly when I travel?

Additionally, is the sim slot the shortened/micro sim like the iPhone 4 or is it normal sim card size?

Thanks

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) No, the 3G does not nag you to sign up for service. It doesn't give a hoot either way. Your call whether to sign up and when.

2) No, you do not need WiFi to establish an acct but you do need to be in an area w/ decent ATT 3G.

3) Yes, it's confirmed unlocked by multiple legit sources.