Will 3g on the ipad be faster than on iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjny, Apr 14, 2010.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I'm wondering if there may be any wireless 3g performance improvements on the ipad vs. iphone 3g.

I am in New York City where ATT 3g network is pretty abysmal for websurfing etc. especially compared to my Verizon 3g card(about 3-4 times faster on bandwidth tests).

I used an iPad that was connnected wirelessly to jailbroken iphone 3g using the MyWi software. The MyWi basically creates a wi-fi hotspot using your iphone 3g .

Performance as OK. Pages loaded up in 5-15 seconds. Will the ipad 3g somehow achieve higher bandwidth using 7.2Mbps upgrade I hear ATT is rolling out?

I am asking because I trying to decide whether I want to spend another $30/month on the ipad data plan or:

1) Use MyWi on iphone 3g for a 3g signal. (I have battery booster because MyWi sucks battery).

2) Use Verizon broadband card with the purchase of a Cradlepoint wifi router. I am already using Connectify software on Windows 7 to create a wi-fi hotspot from my laptop with Verizon broadband card. Very free/nice software.

2. Nash Bridges macrumors regular

Nash Bridges

The throughput that you get on the iPad won't be any better or worse than what you get on the iPhone. Your hotspot worked better because it was on a different carrier.